Dryer fire leaves 18 people displaced at Rustic Village North apartments

Dryer fire leaves 18 people displaced at Rustic Village North apartments

August 21st, 2014 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

Chattanooga firefighters responded to a fire shortly before 11 a.m. today at the Rustic Village North apartments at 4616 Sunflower Lane.

The fire was put out quickly, as firefighters were able to contain it to Apartment 304 and the laundry room, according to a news release from the Hamilton County Fire Department.

It is believed that the fire started near the dryer, and it was ruled accidental, according to the release.

Damage was limited to one apartment unit, but firefighters' gas monitors showed dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide throughout the building. High-powered fans were used to ventilate the building, but the high levels remained, the news release stated.

Residents and management personnel with the apartment complex were evacuated from the building for the day. Battalion Chief Jeff Eldridge said he believes the residents will be able to move back into the building Friday.

John Hitchens with the American Red Cross said in the release that nearly all of the 18 people displaced have other resources and places to stay for the night.