Hamilton County had six "Reward Schools" recognized by the state for achievement and growth, according to a list released Thursday morning.
The schools are chosen based on their Tennessee Comprehensive Achievement Test scores.
"Because our accountability system recognizes growth and different starting points, we have enormous diversity in our Reward Schools," Education Commissioner Kevin Huffman said in a statement.
That's a reduction from last year, when the Hamilton County Department of Education had 11 Reward Schools.
The Hamilton County public schools that made the list are:
• Allen Elementary School - performance
• Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy - progress
• Hamilton County Middle College High School at Chattanooga State Community College (now known as Collegiate High) - performance
• Lookout Mountain Elementary School -performance
• Snow Hill Elementary School - progress
• Thrasher Elementary School - performance
Southeast Tennessee schools that made the list were:
• Bledsoe County: Mary V. Wheeler Elementary - progress
• Bradley County: Michigan Avenue Elementary - performance
• Marion County: Jasper Elementary - progress
Read more in tomorrow's Times Free Press.