MILLEN, Ga. - Authorities say a 5-year-old east Georgia girl has died after a candle sparked a fire in her home, which had lost power after this week's ice storm.
Glenn Allen, a spokesman for the state fire marshal's office, says the girl's parents are both hospitalized for burns and smoke inhalation.
Allen says firefighters were called to the manufactured home in Millen around 5:40 a.m. Friday.
Allen said the father escaped the burning home but went back inside to try and rescue his daughter, and that's when he was injured.
Allen said the family was using a generator and a space heater to stay warm, but fire investigators determined that an unattended candle in a bathroom sparked the blaze.
The town is about 50 miles south of Augusta, in an area hard-hit by power outages.