A ruptured gas line caused a fire at a local foundry around 1 a.m. today.
A natural gas line ruptured at the Eureka Foundry at 1601 Reggie White Boulevard. The gas found an ignition source and erupted into flames.
When firefighters entered the structure, Lt. Charles Waddell with Quint 1 said in a news release there were flames approximately 10 to 15 feet high shooting from a ruptured natural gas line on the floor.
The fire was quickly put out. Before being extinguished, the fire had extended to the wood decking on the roof. Some firefighters got on the roof and used cutting tools to gain access to hot spots in the wood decking. After about an hour on the scene, the firefighters were confident that the fire was completely out.
No injuries were reported. Lt. Andrew Waters with the Fire Investigation Division estimated the dollar loss at $20,000, but that figure could change.