The most memorable quotes in the Chattanooga Times Free Press for June 15-21.
"One phrase I hate is, 'because that's the way we've always done it.' We may do it that way, but we'll do it that way because that's the best way to do it."
- New Chattanooga Police Chief Fred Fletcher, saying he hopes to spark a culture change in the department
"People ask me where I'm staying and I tell them the Stratus hotel."
- Homeless mother Jamie Britt, who has lived with her two children in her Dodge car to escape domestic abuse and who hopes to benefit from planned new emergency housing for the homeless
"We've sent all the wrong messages. And in too many cases we're not attracting people who are prepared for the challenges of the classroom."
- Kate Walsh, president of the National Council on Teacher Quality, criticizing the state of teacher training in much of the nation
"I love Erlanger, but my position has been eliminated, and it's time for me to go."
- Russell King, longest-serving trustee on the Erlanger board, on resigning as the board is restructured
"The DHS offices still do not provide the public what they used to provide, what every other state provides their residents, and what the law requires. DHS does not actually take applications and get them resolved. ... That just doesn't work for many people, as every other state recognizes."
- Gordon Bonnyman, of the Tennessee Justice Center, on the TennCare program's lack of human assistance for people trying to navigate the complex health care program.