Records: Bobo suspect shot mother in 2004

Records: Bobo suspect shot mother in 2004

March 7th, 2014 by The Jackson Sun in Local Regional News

Zachary Adams / TBI

Photo by The Tennessean /Times Free Press.

This undated photo file provided by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, shows Holly Bobo who was last seen April 13, 2013. Bobo was last seen by her brother who said he saw a man in hunting clothes holding his sister and leading her into the woods around the family home outside Parson, Tenn. The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation sent out search dogs Thursday April 18, 2013, to look for Bobo after her purse was recently found near her home.

This undated photo file provided by the Tennessee...

Photo by Associated Press /Times Free Press.

DECATURVILLE, Tenn. - A day after law enforcement charged Zachary Rye Adams with kidnapping and killing Holly Bobo, a violent picture of the Decatur County man began to emerge.

Adams has a history of violence toward women, including a conviction for shooting his mother in the knee in 2004, according to court records.

The frequency of the violence increased as Adams' drug use progressed from the possession of marijuana to possessing, manufacturing and selling methamphetamine, court records show.

Adams was given several opportunities for reform, such as community corrections and drug rehab, but records show he violated the restrictions of the community corrections orders and it was during the time he was free he assaulted and terrified those who knew him, even those who loved him most.

An arrest affidavit in the Decatur County Courthouse said Adams was 19 years old, when he "recklessly shot his mother, Cindy King, in the knee with a Glock 9mm pistol ... on Feb. 7, 2004."

The petition for the protection order was filed by Joseph King II, Adams' former stepfather, and Cindy Lee King, his mother.

"We are in fear of our lives," they said in the court documents. "He shot his mother point blank with a 9mm Glock. He is a danger to us and the community and our relatives he has."

Adams pleaded guilty to aggravated assault. He was sentenced to 11 months and 29 days in jail, which was suspended except for six months, and he was allowed to serve that time in rehab.

Adams was ordered by Judge C. Creed McKinley to attend drug and alcohol treatment at the Jackson Area Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency in September 2004.

Credit was given for 88 days already served in jail, and up to six months' credit was given for impatient treatment and/or long-term transitional living at JACOA.

On June 16, 2005, Adams threatened to shoot his grandfather Dick Adams and grandmother Becky Adams with a shotgun, according to an arrest affidavit, which charged Adams with aggravated assault.

In May 2007, Adams was indicted on charges of theft over $10,000.

The indictment said that on Jan. 23, 2007 Adams stole a John Deere ATV, firearms with ammunition, a chainsaw, torches, shop rags, power boat and a small utility trailer from Hearts Desire Lodge-Campground on 88 Hearts Desire Lane, Sugar Tree, Tennessee.

The indictment said Adams also stole a Honda 250, deer stand and bug zapper from Jeff Davis of Duck Farm Road.

Adams pled guilty on Aug. 15, 2007. He was sentenced to 2 years, 9 months, with time to be served in community correction program after 90 days in the county jail.

On Sept. 17, 2007, Adams tested positive for methamphetamine and marijuana and failed to abide by curfew.

On Nov. 4th 2009, McGinley ordered Adams be sentenced to three years in the Tennessee Department of Correction.

The judgment order said Adams was convicted on July 13, 2009, for simple possession of drugs in Franklin County.