VIDEO: Gas line rupture sparks fire near Browns Ferry Road; no injuries

VIDEO: Gas line rupture sparks fire near Browns Ferry Road; no injuries

March 12th, 2014 by Staff Report in Local Regional News

Emergency personnel work the scene where a gas line fire erupted at the intersection of Patton Chapel Road and Browns Ferry Road in Lookout Valley.

Photo by Dan Henry/Times Free Press.

A construction crew accidentally struck a gas line causing a fire this morning near Browns Ferry Road, said Chattanooga Fire Department Public Information Officer Bruce Garner.

Workers were able to get away before the gas found an ignition source and flames sparked. The fire continued to burn off gas until the gas cutoff valve was shut off.

The decision was made to leave the fire burning in order to burn off gas. The valve was shut off at 10:47 a.m., he said.

Power had to be cut, leaving nearby businesses without power as well as Lookout Valley Elementary School.

A nearby hotel was evacuated but no one was injured, Garner said.

No structural damage was reported.

Video courtesy of the Chattanooga Fire Department.