Police chase ends in crash, standoff in Chicago with Georgia man

Police chase ends in crash, standoff in Chicago with Georgia man

March 16th, 2014 by Associated Press in Local - Breaking News

In this photo provided by Ed Bachrach, authorities surround a vehicle on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, Sunday, March 16, 2014. Authorities in the Chicago suburb of Harvey, where the chase began, say the vehicle matched the description of one belonging to man wanted in connection with a murder in Georgia.

Photo by Associated Press /Times Free Press.

CHICAGO - Police in Chicago surrounded a vehicle that crashed on the city's iconic Lake Shore Drive on Sunday after a chase that authorities said involved a Georgia man wanted for murder.

Police around the vehicle were armed, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. Officers were speaking to the man inside the car through a loudspeaker, asking him to "put your hands up."

The chase, which began in the suburb of Harvey, Ill., about 20 miles away, was the result of an investigation involving Harvey police and police in Henry County, Georgia, said Harvey Police Department spokeswoman Sandra Alvarado.

She said authorities in Georgia requested help on Sunday afternoon and Harvey police were provided a description of the vehicle, registration, GPS location and a valid arrest warrant. She said the man was wanted in connection with a murder earlier this month in Hampton, Ga., which is roughly 30 miles from Atlanta.

The vehicle in question was located shortly after and "fled from officers," according to Alvarado, crossing several interstates and ending in the standoff on the heavily traveled roadway along Lake Michigan.

The chase closed sections of the road for hours. Joggers, walkers and cyclists were diverted from the area.

Chicago police deemed it an "active barricade situation" on Sunday with police still responding on the scene. Illinois State Police also called it an "active" scene. The standoff was taking place on the city's North Side not far from lakeside pedestrian paths and a theater.

Calls to the Henry County Police Department in Georgia went unanswered Sunday.