The Chattanooga Times Free Press received 10 awards, including four first-place nods, in the Society of Professional Journalists' Green Eyeshade contest.
The contest is among media organizations in 11 Southeastern states, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia. Winners are:
• Technology Reporting: First place to Casey Phillips for a collection of stories;
• Public Service in Daily Journalism: First place to Joan Garrett McClane, Todd South for Speak No Evil;
• Editorial Cartoon: First place to Clay Bennett;
• Editorial Writing: First place to Pam Sohn for her editorials on the The Chattanooga Times page;
• Feature Writing: Second place to Joan Garrett McClane for a collection of stories;
• Sports Reporting: Second place to Stephen Hargis for a collection of stories;
• Courts and the Law Reporting: Second place to Joy Lukachick for an investigation into Hays State Prison;
• Non-Deadline Reporting-Online: Second place to Joan Garrett McClane, Todd South, Doug Strickland, Mary Helen Miller for Speak No Evil;
• Disaster Coverage: Third place to Ben Benton for coverage of the South Pittsburg flood;
• Specialized Site: Third place to Todd South, Tim Omarzu, Ben Benton and Mary Helen Miller for a website commemorating the Civil War's 150th anniversary.