Chattanooga: Two arrested in shootings

Chattanooga: Two arrested in shootings

February 28th, 2010 by Staff Report in News

This unidentified suspect is being sought by Chattanooga Police.

This unidentified suspect is being sought by Chattanooga...

Chattanooga police have two men in custody in relation to two separate shootings late Saturday night.

Police first responded to a shooting in the parking lot of the Kanku's convenience store at 3440 Wilcox Blvd. around 10:45 p.m. Saturday.

They found 27-year-old Terrance Etchison unresponsive and suffering from an apparent gunshot wound to the upper torso, according to a news release from Sgt. Jerri Weary, a spokeswoman for the department. EMS workers pronounced him dead.

After speaking with witnesses, police learned that Mr. Etchison and a black male had words inside the Kanku's. That exchange then carried over to the parking lot when the victim exited the store, Sgt. Weary said. During the conversation outside, the suspect pulled a gun and shot Mr. Etchison in the area of the upper torso then got into his vehicle and left, she said.

Jamaal Byrd, 29, was arrested late Sunday and charged with first-degree murder in Mr. Etchison's death. He was taken into custody at the Hamilton County Jail after negotiating his surrender with fugitive investigators. Mr. Byrd was identified from surveillance video.

No motive has been determined in the shooting, Sgt. Weary said.

Police also responded around midnight to a shooting at the L G Lounge at 830 Dodson Ave. Cecil Franklin Stodghill was taken to Erlanger hospital with a gunshot wound to the stomach, Sgt. Weary said in a news release.

According to information obtained from witnesses, Mr. Stodghill was bartending at the at 830 Dodson Avenue, Sgt. Weary stated. The suspect, Leon Holmes, attempted to take money from Stodghill's tip jar which resulted in a fight between the two men. After the fighting incident, Mr. Holmes allegedly returned and shot Mr. Stodghill in the chest and abdomen, she said.

Mr. Stodghill was taken to Erlanger Hospital and into emergency surgery with critical injuries . His current condition is not known. Investigators with the Fugitive Division took Mr. Holmes into custody this morning at 6515 Ringgold Road. He is currently being interviewed by investigators and is expected to be charged with attempted murder, reckless endangerment and unlawful possession of a firearm, Sgt. Weary stated.