Suspect in 2009 shooting found dead

Suspect in 2009 shooting found dead

January 3rd, 2010 by Jacqueline Koch in News

Jimmy Yearby, 40, who died Saturday morning of a gunshot wound to the head.

Jimmy Yearby, 40, who died Saturday morning of...

A man arrested in connection with a robbery and shooting in October was himself shot and killed Saturday, representing the city's first homicide of the year.

Two federal park maintenance workers found 40-year-old Jimmy Yearby in the middle of Sanders Road and called police about 7:30 a.m. Saturday, said Lt. Tim Carroll, head of the Chattanooga Police Department's major crimes division.

"He was in the middle of the street on the left travel lane going down Sanders toward Ochs Highway," he said.

Police pronounced him dead at the scene from an apparent gunshot wound to the head.

Mr. Yearby did not have identification on him, so police identified him using his fingerprints, Lt. Carroll said.

Sanders Road is between Ochs and Scenic highways, serving as a cut-through for drivers between the parallel roads on the side of Lookout Mountain. Because the road is on federal property, the FBI also is investigating the homicide.

Police said they had no suspects late Saturday afternoon.

Mr. Yearby lived in the 1900 block of South Beech Street, near its intersection with Orchard Knob Avenue, said police spokeswoman Lt. Kim Noorbergen.

Article: Region records 14 homicides in 2009


* 2005 -- 23

* 2006 -- 19

* 2007 -- 16

* 2008 -- 20

* 2009 -- 19

* 2010 -- 1*

* -- year to date

Source: Chattanooga Police Department

A number for Mr. Yearby's residence was disconnected Saturday afternoon. His relatives could not be reached for comment.

Mr. Yearby was scheduled to appear in Hamilton County General Sessions Court on Jan. 20 to answer to aggravated assault and aggravated robbery charges he incurred on Oct. 31, court records show.

Those charges were in connection with an incident at 4903 Angela Drive that left a 31-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the leg during a robbery. The man told police he was getting into his car when he was approached by a man who pushed a gun into his stomach and told him to "give it up," police said.

The man handed over his money and was shot in the leg. Police arrested Mr. Yearby three days later in connection with the incident.