Police Briefs: Man charged in triple shooting

Police Briefs: Man charged in triple shooting

April 6th, 2011 by Staff Report in News

Man charged in triple shooting

A man wanted on three counts of attempted first-degree murder, three counts of aggravated assault and three counts of reckless endangerment in a Cypress Street Court shooting was taken into custody Tuesday.

Reginald Woods, 36, whose street name is "Joker," was found at a 1020 W. 37th St. apartment, said police spokeswoman Officer Rebecca Royval.

He is charged in connection with the March 21 shootings of Marcel Hawthorne, 22; Eric McMath, 20; and Jermichael Powell, 18. None of the three men's injuries was life-threatening.

Police say the incident likely stemmed from a domestic dispute. The shooting took place in the College Hill Courts public housing development, but none of them lived there, police said.

This isn't the first-murder charge Woods has faced. He was arrested on a first-degree murder charge in 1998 stemming from a December 1997 death, but that charge was reduced to voluntary manslaughter when he pleaded guilty.

Since 1993, Woods has been arrested in Hamilton County 22 times on charges including evading arrest, robbery and assault, according to court records.

Gunshot wounds roommate

A 40-year-old man was shot Tuesday morning in an apparent dispute with his roommate, Chattanooga police said.

Alberto DeLeon was shot in the right thigh with a shotgun by his roommate, said police spokeswoman Officer Rebecca Royval.

The incident took place about 5:50 a.m. at 3201 Fifth Ave., she said.

DeLeon was taken to the hospital, and his injuries were not life-threatening, Royval said.

Thomas Roell, 60, was charged with aggravated assault in connection with the incident, Royval said.

He also was taken to the hospital for unrelated medical issues, she said, and was taken to Hamilton County Jail after being released from the hospital.

Man shot in leg on Third Street

A 23-year-old man was shot in the leg early Tuesday morning while he was walking in the 2000 block of Third Street, according to Chattanooga police.

Stephen Taylor told police he ran to his girlfriend's house on North Willow Street about 2:50 a.m. after he heard gunshots. Taylor said he was walking home after attending a party near Blackford Street.

He said he realized he had been shot, and someone took him to the hospital after he reached his girlfriend's residence. Police responded to Parkridge East Hospital.

There is no suspect information, and the investigation is continuing.

Man accused of wielding ax

A man was arrested Monday afternoon after he barged into a jewelry store on Gunbarrel Road, wielding an ax and wearing a beekeeper's hat, then "acted crazy and left," according to Chattanooga police.

Following the incident in the jewelry store, Garris Wooten, 22, was arrested after his Ford Ranger pickup truck wrecked on Interstate 24 at Rossville Boulevard, said Chattanooga police spokeswoman Officer Rebecca Royval. He was picked up by police in the 2400 block of Rossville Boulevard, she said.

He was taken to the Hamilton County Jail and charged with criminal attempted aggravated robbery, driving on a revoked/suspended license and leaving the scene of an accident, Royval said.

About 1 p.m. Monday, employees at Rone Regency Jewelers on Gunbarrel Road said "some crazy guy" entered the store with the ax and a beekeeper's hat. An employee asked the man to leave, prompting him to raise the ax, walk around the store, then leave, Royval said.

A passer-by noticed the suspect driving away in a reckless manner from the store, so she took a photograph, Royval said.

House fire leads to arson arrest

Police in East Ridge have accused a man of throwing a Molotov cocktail at a home, causing minor roof damage.

Officers said Phillip Tolbert was charged Monday with aggravated arson, possession of an explosive weapon and reckless endangerment.

No one was hurt. Police quoted two occupants of the house as saying Tolbert had threatened to burn down the home earlier Monday.

Officers said the threats came after a relationship with Tolbert was ended.

Tolbert was jailed with bond set at $125,000.