Chattanooga officers make arrest near Coolidge Park, and more police news

Chattanooga officers make arrest near Coolidge Park, and more police news

August 2nd, 2011 by Staff Reports in News

Contributed Photo Surveillance cameras are used to monitor Chattanooga's Coolidge Park, and provide law enforcement the ability to record possible illegal activity.

Contributed Photo Surveillance cameras are used to monitor Chattanooga's...

Officers make arrest near park

After Chattanooga Police Department officers increased security at Coolidge Park over the weekend, there was one arrest of an adult and no juveniles were taken into custody, said Chattanooga police spokeswoman Sgt. Jerri Weary.

Police increased security in the park after there were complaints a couple of weeks ago of large groups of youths creating traffic problems and running through the streets. Business owners complained of entrances being blocked to their stores.

At least 30 officers worked the North Shore area over the weekend to enforce city ordinances, Weary said.

She said there are plans for an increased number of officers as long as they're needed.

Boss charged in sexual battery

An insurance business owner faces charges of sexual battery, false imprisonment and extortion after being accused of holding an employee against her will and assaulting her, according to a statement from the Cleveland Police Department.

Randall Scott Prather was arrested at his Georgetown Road business after an employee reported that, on June 8, he gave her $200 to perform sexual favors.

When the employee refused, she was assaulted and held against her will, police said, but she got away and called authorities.

Prather was picked up on a warrant by the Bradley County Sheriff's Office on July 29. He posted a $20,000 bond. His next court date is set for Aug. 22.

Death-by-car defendant held

A woman remains in custody charged with vehicular homicide after police said she became upset at neighbors complaining about her driving, then ran over one of them, killing him.

On Seventh Avenue, Alicia Eliza Miguel, 25, reacted to her neighbors' comments by driving forward in her black sport utility vehicle, then backing up aggressively before striking Martin Martinez, according to a Chattanooga Police Department police report.

She pulled forward a second time, striking him again, police said.

Miguel was with her boyfriend at the time and reportedly intoxicated, police said. She also faces charges of DUI and leaving the scene of a crash, police said. Her next court date is scheduled for Aug. 9 before Sessions Court Judge Robert Moon.

Woman didn't turn in man, charged

A 25-year-old woman posted a $10,000 bond Monday after she failed to contact Chattanooga Police Department investigators who were looking to arrest her boyfriend on a murder charge.

Lequela Lanette Bailey was found Saturday inside a room at Motel 6, 7707 Lee Highway, with Jerrico Hawthorne, 24, who faces a first-degree murder charge in the slaying of James Williams Jr., police said.

Bailey is facing an accessory after the fact charge. She could not be reached by phone Monday afternoon. Her next court date was not available.

In a July 24 home robbery, Williams, 23, was shot to death and Yetta Harris, 38, was wounded but is expected to survive, police said.

Bailey spoke with investigators shortly after Williams' death to provide information about Hawthorne's whereabouts. She was given a business card and told to contact investigators if she heard from him, according to an arrest report.

Bailey never contacted authorities.

Another victim who survived the shooting told investigators that Hawthorne was seen with a woman in a green vehicle at the incident. The vehicle matches a description of the one Bailey drives, according to the report.

Hawthorne's next court date is set for Aug. 9 in General Sessions Court Judge Robert Moon's courtroom.

Fire destroys Dallas Bay home

Four fire departments responded to a fire Monday morning that destroyed a Dallas Bay home.

Neighbors called authorities about 10:15 a.m. to report the blaze, which quickly grew and consumed the house, which was valued at $130,000.

Homeowner Elizabeth Mayes was not home at the time, and no injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.