City worker placed on leave after rape charge

City worker placed on leave after rape charge

March 2nd, 2011 by Beth Burger in News

A city worker posted a $60,000 bond, and a woman accused of being his accomplice remains in custody after both were charged with kidnapping and raping a woman, according to authorities.

Carlton Wayne Cameron, 52, posted bond Monday night after he was charged with several counts of aggravated rape and other charges, including kidnapping and robbery.

Under city policy, Cameron, who has worked for Chattanooga since 1986, will be placed on administrative leave with pay for a maximum of 72 hours while city officials review the charges. Cameron makes $33,280 annually, according to 2009 salary data.

Cameron did not return a message left on his phone Tuesday.

Shrena M. Bell, had a $34,000 bond set after she was booked Monday night, according to authorities. She faces several counts of rape as well as kidnapping and robbery.

Cameron and Bell are scheduled to appear in court March 15.

Bell has a prior arrest record that includes prostitution and drug possession.

Authorities did not release any other details Tuesday.

"It's still under investigation," said Chattanooga Police Department spokeswoman Officer Rebecca Royval. "There's several things we're looking into."

Bell is accused of approaching a woman as she was leaving Warehouse Row on Market Street between 5 and 6 p.m. Friday and asking for directions. Bell then held a knife to the victim's throat and ordered her to move to the passenger seat of a vehicle, the victim told police.

Bell reportedly drove the woman to a residence and picked up Cameron, reports say, then all three drove to another residence at 3120 W. 16th Ave., where the victim was taken to a room and locked inside.

With one of them holding the victim down, Cameron and Bell took turns performing sex acts on the woman, according to reports.

"The victim also reported that the suspects repeatedly threatened to harm or kill her and her family members if she did not cooperate," the report said.

During the attack, the man was referred to as "Carl" and the woman as "Re Re," the report said.

Several pieces of jewelry also were taken from the woman, the report said.

The victim suffered bruising to her inner thighs, upper arms and knees, which corroborated the version of events she gave to police, they said.

The report did not state how the victim got away.