"I'm not saying he should be locked up for life. Maybe about three to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. Someone's life is surely worth that much."
- Nicole Martin, on the probation and $2,000 fine given a Dalton, Ga., driver who pleaded guilty to two counts of homicide by vehicle in the second degree in the April 25, 2010, "distracted-driving" accident that killed her fiance and 7-year-old son
"Sunday is church day and God's day in my book. If you can't get it the other six days of the week, I think you've messed yourself up."
- Barton Harris, mayor of Trenton, Ga., on a legislative proposal to allow alcohol sales on Sundays
"Where were you at? Where were your children at? Who's responsible for these children?"
- Chattanooga Police Chief Bobby Dodd, on the large number of unsupervised children at Coolidge Park on March 19 when fights and gunfire broke out
"I just wish they'd stop all this violence, all this fighting. Or I wish I could just go out of town somewhere, just get away."
- Jermiyah Walker, 16, after three people were shot and wounded in the College Hill Courts development
"That's the big problem right now, the gang problem. And it's not just a problem in Coolidge Park, it's all over the city."
- Phil Grubb, president of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers Local 673, on new billboards that say Chattanooga Mayor Ron Littlefield "is too busy fighting police to pay attention to gang violence"