Storm Resources: How to help, where to get aid

Storm Resources: How to help, where to get aid

May 12th, 2011 in News


* Disaster recovery centers have opened several regional counties to help those whose homes or businesses were affected by recent storms and tornadoes.

Federal disaster assistance can include grants for rental assistance and home repairs, low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help recover from the effects of the disaster.

Applicants must register before applying for benefits. Register online at or by phone at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). The hearing-impaired (TTY) should call 1-800-462-7585.


Bradley County

* 10 Church St., Cleveland, TN 37311. Hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.

Hamilton County

* Hulsey Wellness Centers (Southern Adventist University), 4870 University Drive, Collegedale, TN 37363. Hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.

Bledsoe County

* Brayton Baptist Church, 2827 Graysville Road, Graysville, Tenn. Hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Rhea County

* Evensville Fire Hall, 801 Eagle Lane, Evensville, Tenn. Hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

McMinn County

* Claxton Volunteer Fire Department, 1711 County Road 750, Athens, Tenn. Hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.


Dade County

*Dade County Board of Commissioners Room, 71 Case Ave., Trenton, GA 30752. Hours: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.

Catoosa County

* Catoosa County Adult Learning Center on the Benton Place campus, 36 Muscogee Trail, Ringgold, GA 30736. Hours: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. A help line will be staffed from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call 706-965-7138 or 706-965-7139 with further information.

Walker County

* Walker County Agricultural Center, 10052 Highway 27, Rock Spring, GA 30739. Hours: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday, 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday.


DeKalb County

* Tom Bevell Center, 115 Main St. West, Rainsville, Ala. Hours: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CDT seven days a week.


* The Red Cross still is seeking donations to support disaster relief. Donate by visiting, or by mailing a check to: 801 McCallie Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37403.

* To donate to the Salvation Army, which is providing hot meals, water and emotional and spiritual care in several area counties, call 1-800-SAL-ARMY or Or text the word "give" to 80888 and a $10 donation will appear on your cell phone bill.

* Nonperishable food items can be donated to the Chattanooga Food Bank at 2009 Curtain Pole Road from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for distribution to disaster victims as needed.

* Blood Assurance is asking anyone able to get to a blood center or bloodmobile to do so immediately. For more information, go to or call 423-756-0966.

* United Way's Volunteer Center continues to match people and resources to need by vetting service opportunities from disaster relief/social service agencies and resource providers. To volunteer or donate, please call United Way's Volunteer Center at 752-0316.

* Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson asks that storm recovery volunteers in Walker County report to Chattanooga Valley Baptist Church, 90 Nick-A-Jack Lane, Flintstone, Ga. Anyone wishing to donate water, refreshments or food may call or go to the Walker County Civic Center, 10052 N. Highway 27, Rock Spring, Ga., or call 706-375-7702.

* People who want to volunteer should call a new number at the volunteer coordination office at the Ringgold United Methodist Church at 706-935-2109.

Relief efforts continue being staged from three designated assistance centers: the Ringgold United Methodist Church, 7884 Nashville St.; Poplar Springs Baptist Church, 422 Poplar Springs Road; and Cherokee Valley Baptist Church, 1495 Cherokee Valley Road. Donations of cash may be sent to any of these churches at their street address in Ringgold, GA 30736.

* Donations of goods are being accepted at the Ringgold Telephone Co., 6203 Alabama Highway, or donors will be redirected to the appropriate locations where items they are donating can be stored long term.

* Christ Chapel Share and Care Mission, 281 Inman St., in Ringgold continues to serve the community as a food bank. The location also has shoes, clothing, bedding, furniture, cleaning supplies, and food is available for victims.

* Oakwood Baptist Church in Walker County is collecting bottled water, nonperishable food and toiletries for distribution centers at its Gateway campus for Ringgold and the Ministry of Hope for Flintstone. To donate or volunteer, visit

* First Baptist Church in LaFayette is collecting nonperishable food and bottled water at the church office during normal business hours or before church services.

* Volunteers are invited to come to Poplar Springs Baptist Church, 422 Poplar Springs Road in Ringgold daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. to collect items and distribute them to tornado victims. Meals are prepared daily for volunteers and families affected by the storms. For information, call Joy Petty at 423-309-6739.

* Chattooga County residents may donate supplies at the library, the sheriff's office, Lyerly Town Hall and Trion Town Hall. Needs include nonperishable food, bottled water, diapers, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, garbage bags, pet food, flashlights, sanitary gloves, children's Tylenol, ibuprofen and antacids.

Clothing may be dropped off at the Trion Police Department. It must be clean and new or very gently worn.

* Trenton United Methodist Church, 294 Bond St., invites walk-in volunteers to report daily to its gymnasium for three-hour shifts (9 a.m.-noon, noon-3 p.m., 3 p.m., 6-9 p.m.) of gathering, sorting, loading and attending to needs as they come. For information, call the church at 706-657-6170.

* In Bradley County, anyone who would like to volunteer with cleanup and construction efforts can call the Bradley Baptist Association at 423-476-4953.

* Volunteers who have chainsaws and are needed in Cleveland. The Bradley County Roads Department is coordinating. Call 423-728-7006.

* In Cleveland, the Samaritan Center at 9231 Lee Highway is accepting new clothing items, diapers, gently used furniture, household items and other goods. If you have questions on items to donate, call 238-7777.

* The Salvation Army and the American Red Cross have a donation and distribution center at the Peerless Road Church of God of Prophecy at 3301 Peerless Road, Cleveland. They are in urgent need of laundry detergent, dish soap, bleach and food such as mac and cheese, soups, ravioli, canned chicken, tuna and pet food.

* New Harmony Baptist Church on New Harmony Road in Bledsoe County is accepting items to aid storm victims in the New Harmony-Graysville area. The church also has food, water and other recovery supplies for victims. Pastor Donnie Lawson can be reached at 423-309-0120.

* Brush Creek Farms on Walkertown Road, owned by Larry Suttles, has clothing and other items for storm victims in Bledsoe County or Rhea County. Contact New Harmony Baptist Church pastor Donnie Lawson at 423-309-0120.


* Goodwill has clothing and medical equipment available. Please call first (423-629-2501) to check locations and availability, especially for medical equipment. As for clothing, any tornado victim can go to any Goodwill store for immediate assistance. Goodwill can make arrangements to deliver medical equipment to a location convenient to those who need assistance.

* The Hamilton County Health Department is offering free tetanus shots at Chattanooga-Hamilton County Health Department. Call at 423-209-8190 for information.

* The Bradley County Health Department is offering free tetanus shots to those injured due to storms/damage cleanup. Call 423-593-1381 for more information.

* Apison Baptist Church, 11127 Old East Brainerd Road, is offering clothing, household goods, nonperishable food items, toys, toiletries and cleaning supplies, among other things, Monday through Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. through May (and June if the need still exists). For information, call the church office at 236-4291.

* The CBI Counseling Center, 1815 McCallie Ave., is offering up to three months of free counseling services to area tornado victims on a first-come, first-served basis. To schedule an appointment, call 423-756-2894; to contact center director Tim Sisemore, who is willing to talk to groups about the trauma involved with storms and natural disasters, call 423-648-2432.

* Metropolitan Ministries will provide emergency financial assistance in Trenton at the Trenton Ministry Center, 1 Georgia Ave. The organization will continue to provide services Monday through Wednesday at its office at 1112 McCallie Ave. To reach the Trenton Ministry Center, call 706-657-6920.

* The Catoosa County and Ringgold building inspection staff is reviewing structurally damaged buildings. All structurally damaged buildings must be inspected before they can be occupied. To be placed on the inspection list, call the Catoosa County Help Line at 706-965-7138 or 706-965-7139.

Catoosa County and Ringgold will return to regular phone numbers.

* As of today, Catoosa County and Ringgold will serve residents' needs through their regular administration numbers

County residents needing assistance may now call (706) 965-2500 for non-emergency assistance relating to the aftermath of the storm.

Ringgold residents may call (706) 935-3061 for information or additional non-emergency assistance, Wright said.

The volunteer line is still available for any wishing to assist in the clean-up or rebuild at (706) 935-2109.

All lines are available during normal business hours Monday-Friday.

* Bradley Baptist Association is providing any kind of home repair, cleanup or rebuilding assistance. Call 423-476-5493 for help.

Volunteers for Bradley County cleanup can be directed to the Bradley County First Baptist Church, call 423-476-5526.

* The American Red Cross of the Chattanooga Greater Area has developed the Safe and Well website so people can notify friends and relatives they are all right. Visit (English) or (Spanish).


The following are emergency shelters available in the area:

* Pikeville First Baptist Church, 2871 Main St., Pikeville, TN 37367

* Bledsoe First Southern Baptist Church, 2871 Main St., Pikeville TN 37367, 423-447-2849

* For shelter and food in Rhea County, call 433-827-2829. Central Baptist Church in Spring City is serving as a Red Cross shelter.

* First Southern Baptist Church in Pikeville

Call 423-827-2806 for a Red Cross volunteer.