1 Chattanooga slaying suspect arrested, 2nd sought

1 Chattanooga slaying suspect arrested, 2nd sought

October 14th, 2011 by Beth Burger in News

Emmett Jones

Photo by Contributed Photo/Times Free Press.

Roderick Q. Bates

Photo by Contributed Photo/Times Free Press.

Chattanooga police have arrested one man and still are searching for another they believe is responsible for shooting a man to death at his home following a fight at a local nightclub.

Emmett Dewayne "D-Baby" Jones, 25, and Roderick "Pooh Pooh" Bates, 24, face charges of first-degree murder and especially aggravated burglary, police said.

Jones was arrested at an apartment in Rossville on Thursday morning. He is scheduled to appear before General Sessions Court Judge David Bales on Monday and remains in jail on a $750,000 bond.

Investigators are searching for Bates.

Last Friday, investigators found 37-year-old Reginald Clark lying in a pool of blood on the kitchen floor of his home at 1644 Greenwood Drive.

No one was home at the residence on Thursday afternoon.

Jones was sentenced to eight years in prison for an aggravated robbery conviction in 2004 in Washington County. He also was convicted of assault in Washington County in 2004 and received an 11-month, 29-day sentence, according to Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

Bates has prior drug convictions, as well as a conviction for evading arrest and reckless endangerment dating back to 2005, according to records.

Anyone with any information about Bates' whereabouts can call police at 423-698-2525.

Late on Oct. 6, Clark and one of his friends had an altercation at the 807 Fire & Ice nightclub on Market Street with Bates and his girlfriend, according to a police report. When Clark left the club and went home, it was only a few moments before two men entered the residence, rushed Clark and opened fire, hitting Clark repeatedly, according to the report.

Witnesses identified Bates and Jones through photos, police said.

Clark had no violent criminal history.