Two men arrested in Chattanooga officer assault

Two men arrested in Chattanooga officer assault

September 3rd, 2011 by Staff Report in News

Timothy J. Hicks, 43, is charged with assault on police, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public intoxication after he allegedly assaulted a Chattanooga Police officer.

Timothy J. Hicks, 43, is charged with assault...

Two men arrested in officer assault

Two men were arrested Thursday night after a Chattanooga police officer was assaulted at the grand opening of a new music venue downtown, according to police.

Richard Wetherbee and Timothy Hicks, both 43, were arrested at Track 29, located at 1400 Market St. in the Chattanooga Choo Choo complex.

Police were dispatched after Hicks became belligerent with security at the venue, Chattanooga Police Department Sgt. Jerri Weary said in a statement.

When police arrived, Wetherbee interfered with police getting to Hicks, according to the statement.

Wetherbee, who grabbed Officer Daniel Cholota and refused to let him pass, eventually was shot with a stun gun, Weary said.

Hicks punched Officer Sean Emmer in the face, attempted to gouge Emmer's eye and reached for his service weapon, according to police.

Both Emmer and Hicks were taken to a hospital for treatment after receiving nonlife-threatening injuries, according to police.

Hicks faces charges of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, public intoxication and aggravated assault on police.

Wetherbee was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, police said.

Brush fire fought in Soddy-Daisy

Volunteer firefighters in Soddy-Daisy fought a brush fire Friday on the side of Mowbray Mountain.

A man was welding his car when sparks lit trees on fire, authorities say.

The Soddy-Daisy Fire Department responded and realized it would need help, so the Mowbray Volunteer Fire Department, the Sequoyah Volunteer Fire Department, the Dallas Bay Volunteer Fire Department and Chattanooga-Hamilton County Rescue were called in.

At 6:30 p.m., Chief Chris Wellington of the Mowbray department reported that 10 acres had burned.

While no structures were damaged, a firefighter with the Sequoyah department had to be treated for heat exhaustion, officials said.

Police respond to two stabbings

Chattanooga police responded to two stabbings within a 12- hour period, according to authorities.

The first incident occurred about 11:45 p.m. Thursday. Police responded to 1107 N. Hawthorne St. shortly after 30-year-old Arlandis Pointer arrived at a local hospital, suffering from a stab wound to the back that punctured one of his lungs.

According to Pointer's girlfriend, Crystal Jones, he stepped outside of their residence for about 20 minutes last night and returned bleeding. She and a friend then drove Pointer to the hospital.

No information about the stabbing has been provided by Pointer. Police are still gathering information in the case and no arrests have been made.

Another stabbing occurred at 8:26 a.m. Friday following a domestic incident at a post office located at 511 S. Hawthorne St.

According to a witness, 26-year-old Kenneth Bush had just pulled up to the post office when his wife, 33-year-old Lawanda Bush, who was in a separate vehicle, approached his car, opened the door and began assaulting him with what appeared to be "some type of cutting instrument."

She then jumped back into her vehicle and drove off.

Bush told police his wife was upset that he'd moved out a week earlier. He was treated for a laceration to the neck and forearm at a local hospital, police said.

Lawanda Bush was picked up on Camden Street and transported her to Hamilton County Jail, where she was charged with domestic aggravated assault, police said.