3rd shooting in 3 days in Chattanooga

3rd shooting in 3 days in Chattanooga

April 13th, 2012 by Beth Burger in News

A Chattanooga Police Department crime scene tech shoots video at the intersection of South Kelly Street and Union Avenue where a shooting took place Thursday morning as the result of an ongoing argument. The shooter was in a Chevy Impala and the 38-year-old victim, who was shot in the head, managed to drive himself in a Chevy Malibu to a near by residence at 2012 Duncan Ave. Staff Photo by Beth Burger

The sound of a blaring horn led 52-year-old Rhonda Bradley to a man bleeding in Ridgedale.

Her daughter's boyfriend, 38-year-old Demetris Griffin, had left her home at 2012 Duncan Ave. only moments earlier on Thursday morning. Now he was lying on the horn of a gold Chevrolet Malibu, a gunshot wound to his head and two other bullet holes bleeding in his torso -- one in his stomach area and another near one of his arms.

"He was talking in the car. He said, 'He shot me. He shot me,'" she said. "I went into the house to get a towel and give a compress to stop the bleeding. I called 911 and was talking to a dispatcher and she said, 'They're coming. They're coming.' She said, 'Keep him talking.' I kept him talking until they got here."

She managed to get him out of the car and lay him on the ground, keeping him propped up until help arrived.

This is the third shooting in Chattanooga in three days. To date, there have been 28 shootings resulting in death or injury this year in the city.

Bradley said the dispute that led to Griffin's shooting was about her daughter, who has been in a relationship with Griffin for the past five years. The couple shares three children, she said.

"It's some kind of ongoing thing with him and that guy. This guy be running around here making ... threats, talking about how he going to shoot him." Bradley said. "They've been having some words. It's about my daughter. This guy used to like her or something. She doesn't have anything to say to him."

Later Thursday, Chattanooga police located 31-year-old Marcus Sanders and took him into custody. His Chevy Impala was parked at the intersection of Union Avenue and South Kelly Street in Ridgedale, where the shooting took place just after 9:30 a.m. Thursday.

"He kept saying, 'He on Union. He on Union.' I couldn't make no sense out of all of it," Bradley said.

Griffin was taken to Erlanger hospital, where he was listed in stable condition. As of late Thursday, Sanders had not been charged.

On Tuesday, Robert Thien was shot in the 900 block of North Willow Street. A 17-year-old and 19-year-old Ernest Wynn were arrested in connection with the shooting, which was the result of a drug-related botched robbery, according to an arrest report.

Both were charged with attempted murder, robbery, aggravated assault and criminal conspiracy. Wynn's next court date is set for April 17 before General Sessions Court Judge Clarence Shattuck. His bond is set at $150,000.

The juvenile's name was not released and there's no information on his court date.

On Wednesday, 33-year-old Jeffrey Braswell was shot in the leg in the 1900 block of Hardy Street in the Harriet Tubman housing complex. Reginald D. Wadley, 31, was charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault after police said he admitted that he shot Braswell.

Wadley posted a $30,000 bond for both charges. His next court date is set for April 17 before General Sessions Court Judge Christine Sell.