After a year, woman's disappearance still a mystery

After a year, woman's disappearance still a mystery

April 15th, 2012 by Jordan Buie/Jackson Sun in News

In this undated file photo provided by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, Holly Bobo is shown.

In this undated file photo provided by the...

Photo by Associated Press /Times Free Press.

Friday marked one year since Holly Bobo disappeared into the woods behind her home in Darden, Tenn., but her pastor, Don Franks, said he is still confident his lost congregation member will be found.

"We are as determined as ever to find Holly," he said of himself and the friends and family members who still work tirelessly to bring her home. "Every day we work on trying to locate the new pieces of information we need."

Early on, just after Holly was taken from her home by an unknown man dressed in camouflage, Franks became the spokesman for the Bobo family. When they were at a loss for words, he stayed by their side and stood before the media.

As months rolled by, Holly's mother, Karen; her father, Dana; and brother, Clint, opened up to the media about what happened the morning Holly was abducted. Still, Franks continued to raise publicity for the 20-year-old woman who sang in his church.

He is not alone.

Franks is the pastor of Corinth Baptist Church in Darden, and he said members of his church have gone on mission trips to Mexico, Guatemala, Belize and other Central American countries and posted fliers there in Spanish.

Commercial trucks have driven across the United States with Holly's picture on them for the entire country to see, and cards with similar pictures lie by convenience store cash registers across Tennessee and other states.

In Decatur County, pink ribbons have been attached to trees, mail boxes and fence posts to signify the Darden community's mourning over its lost daughter.

"We have done everything we can to bring Holly home," Franks said. "We are a year closer than we were last year. And law enforcement is determined to solve this case."

District Attorney Hansel McCadams told the Jackson Sun on Wednesday that Tennessee Bureau of Investigation agents still work on the case every day.

"Holly's investigation is still ongoing," he said. "As long as investigators receive new information a case stays open, and the TBI receives new information on the case almost daily."

McCadams said the information is not necessarily "new leads" and includes information people call in.

The determination of all those who hope for Holly's safe return is indicated by the amount of reward money, which has now reached $250,000.

"We just ask people to keep the pictures going out and the prayers going up," Franks said. "We want to bring Holly home."