An East Tennessee building constructed to honor military veterans now is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The National Park Service extended the designation to the Lenoir City War Memorial Building, according to The Knoxville News Sentinel. The structure was built in 1951, initially to honor veterans of World War II.
The building has had a number of uses over the years, including hosting dances and serving as the headquarters for an American Legion post and as a forum for political debates. It now houses the local election headquarters.
Lenoir City plans to seek grants for the restoration of the brick building.