Death of pregnant Chatsworth teen from meth ruled accidental

Death of pregnant Chatsworth teen from meth ruled accidental

January 25th, 2012 by Joy Lukachick Smith in News

Authorities said no one will be prosecuted in the deaths of a 19-year-old Chatsworth, Ga., woman and her unborn fetus, both of whom died after she hid a plastic bag of methamphetamine in her vagina.

Megan Long and her 19-week-old fetus died in September 2011, and a recently completed toxicology report shows the teenager died from the toxic effects of meth.

When a sheriff's deputy pulled over Long, her boyfriend and her mother during a traffic stop, Long hid the bag of meth, Conasauga Circuit District Attorney Kermit McManus said.

"Give it to me, I'll hide it. No one will search me, I'm pregnant," Long told her family, according to McManus.

But the contents of the bag seeped into her body, poisoning Long and her daughter, McManus said.

The fetus -- who was going to be named Madison Skye Long -- was delivered stillborn a day before Long died, the report states.

Long's death was ruled an accident, her autopsy shows. No one will be charged in either death and the investigation is complete, McManus said.

"What she did was on her own volition," he said. "It was her bad decision. It was a very sad situation."

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation was asked to take the lead on the case and investigate both deaths.

At first police heard reports that Long had been asked to hide the meth, McManus said, but after interviewing both Long's mother and boyfriend, authorities decided that was not the case.