Police identify 3-year-old Cleveland shooting victim

Police identify 3-year-old Cleveland shooting victim

June 1st, 2012 by Randall Higgins in News

A Bradley County Fire and Rescue truck is parked in front of the house at 141 Benwood Trail where a 3-year-old girl apparently shot herself in the head and later died.

A Bradley County Fire and Rescue truck is...

Photo by Randall Higgins /Times Free Press.

CLEVELAND, Tenn. - The 3-year-old girl who accidentally killed herself with a gun Wednesday was the granddaughter of a 34-year veteran of the Tennessee Highway Patrol.

"I can confirm that [the] incident involving the accidental shooting occurred at the home of Tennessee Highway Patrol Lt. Tommie Graham," THP spokeswoman Dalya Qualls said Thursday. "The deceased is a family member of Lt. Graham."

Kydalynn Robinson died Wednesday at SkyRidge Medical Center after shooting herself in the head about 10:30 a.m.

The Bradley County Sheriff's Office said at the time the 3-year-old and a 2-year-old cousin were playing when they apparently found the .45-caliber handgun.

THP Col. Tracy Trott on Thursday called it a "tragic accident" and said Graham is cooperating fully with the Bradley County Sheriff's Office. He said the patrol's thoughts and prayers are extended to Graham's family.

"We do not anticipate any disciplinary action internally. However, any decisions will be made pending the outcome of the investigation," Trott said in an emailed statement.

Six people lived at the home on Benwood Trail off Old Parksville Road, said Bob Gault, spokesman for the Bradley County Sheriff's Office. They were Graham, his wife, and two adult daughters who each had a child, Gault said.

Although police said Wednesday the death is being considered an accidental, self-inflicted wound, the investigation is continuing, Gault said. Detectives collected forensic evidence Wednesday and photographed the scene.

"They did carry several things out and they photographed the scene before anything was moved," Gault said.

He could not comment on what evidence may have been removed from the house, he said.

The family was allowed back into the house Wednesday evening.