One of the few things that all Americans - Democrats, Republicans and independents - surely agree on politically is that we need to elect a good president in 2012.
Admittedly we have different ideas about what policies a good president should pursue. But whatever our personal political views, don't all of us understand that we need a president who has admirable character, sound principles, exceptional intelligence, good judgment and clear ability to inspire and lead our beloved country?
Yet as we begin to look toward the presidential election next year, many Americans must also agree that we have less than an encouraging field of prospective candidates.
The 2012 Democrat nominee surely will be the incumbent, President Barack Obama. But it should be clear to all of us that his lack of experience prior to his election and his lack of judgment since he was elected - indicated by his support for ObamaCare, the failed "stimulus" and other bad ideas - have made him less than one of our best presidents. Even if you support his positions, do you honestly feel he has proved himself to be a president of such outstanding leadership that he should be a "shoo-in" for re-election?
If not, then what Republican should we enthusiastically elect next year?
Here is at least a partial list - in alphabetical order - of Republicans who have announced a presidential candidacy, or have "indicated an interest" in running, or have been frequently mentioned as possible candidates:
• Michele Bachmann, congresswoman from Minnesota
• Herman Cain, former CEO of Godfather's Pizza, from Georgia
• Newt Gingrich, former speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, from Georgia
• Jon Huntsman, former Utah governor
• Sarah Palin, former Alaska governor
• Ron Paul, congressman from Texas
• Tim Pawlenty, former Minnesota governor
• Rick Perry, governor of Texas
• Mitt Romney, former Massachusetts governor
• Rick Santorum, former U.S. senator from Pennsylvania
Do you even recognize all those names?
Does this list - plus Obama - constitute "the best and the brightest" that we can choose from to lead the greatest nation in the world?
If not, who do you believe should be the next president of our United States of America?