Vols rally late to top LSU in OT

Vols rally late to top LSU in OT

March 1st, 2012 by Associated Press in Sports - College

Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin

Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin

Photo by Associated Press /Times Free Press.

BATON ROUGE, La. - Trae Golden's three-point play with 1:27 remaining in overtime sparked Tennessee to a 74-69 victory against LSU in a Southeastern Conference game Wednesday night.

Golden's jumper and free throw started a 7-2 run and LSU wasn't able to recover. After Johnny O'Bryant's layup made it a one-point game, 66-65, Tennessee followed with a jumper by Cameron Tatum and two more free throws by Golden.

Golden scored nine of his 14 points in the extra period as Tennessee (17-13, 9-6) won for the seventh time in its last eight games.

The Volunteers didn't lead until Tatum made the first basket of overtime, a 3-pointer for a 63-60 advantage 23 seconds in.

Jarnell Stokes led Tennessee with 18 points and Jeronne Maymon added 14.

LSU (17-12, 7-8) was led by Justin Hamilton with 17 points. Anthony Hickey added 12 and Johnny O'Bryant 11 for the Tigers, who led 35-24 at halftime.

The Volunteers then outscored LSU 11-2 to pull within two points, 37-35, on Stokes' jumper with 16:03 to play.

The Tigers stayed in the lead throughout the second half but couldn't hold off Tennessee.

A basket by Stringer and a 3-pointer by Hickey enabled LSU to extend its lead to 42-36. However, the Volunteers once again cut the Tigers' advantage to two points at 45-43. Maymon scored seven consecutive points during that stretch for the Volunteers.

On the verge of losing its lead, LSU got a field goal from Storm Warren and another 3-pointer from Hickey to go on top 50-43 with 9:37 remaining in regulation. However, less than a minute later the Volunteers trailed by just three points after both Golden and Maymon sank two foul shots.

The Tigers couldn't maintain their lead as Tennessee shot 51 percent for the game.

The Volunteers drew even with the Tigers for the first time since the first four minutes of the game, 57-57, on a jumper by Stokes. LSU then regained the lead on Hickey's third 3-pointer of the game.

The Volunteers tied the score again at 60 when Maymon made 1 of 2 free throws with 2:16 remaining to send it into overtime.

LSU's four post players were responsible for nearly all of its offensive production.