Chattanooga State won the 2017 TCCAA/NJCAA Region 7 softball championship Wednesday in Gallatin, Tenn., with a 6-4 victory over top-seeded Walters State after a 3-2 loss to the Lady Senators. The Lady Tigers (44-11) will play for the third time in four years in the national tournament at St. George, Utah. They edged Walters 5-3 in the winners-bracket final Tuesday night, and Kaleigh Wynne pitched all 21 innings against the Morristown team. She pitched a three-hitter in the first final but gave up a three-run home run. She hit a solo homer in the first inning of the second final, and Madison Kurtz had a two-out, two-run single for a 3-3 tie. Lillie McCrary began a three-run sixth inning for Chatt State with a homer, and Wynne wiggled out of a bases-loaded, no-out bottom half with a run only on an intentional walk to former UTC player Jordan Fortel.
- The Lee University women's golf team edged Nova Southeastern on the second playoff hole Wednesday in the NCAA Division II South/Southeast Super Regional tournament at Elgin, S.C. That was for third place and a spot in the national championship tournament May 17-20 in Findlay, Ohio. The Lady Flames, in just their second year of being eligible for the NCAA postseason, will join Barry (918) and defending national champion Rollins (923) there from the region. Freshman Anne Hedegaard's superb par save from a second shot that rested on a steep bank in front of the 18th green was a key to ninth-seeded Lee's comeback victory with a third-round 306 for its 928. Caroline Moore tied for seventh individually at 227 with her second 74 in a row, and Sam Burrus had a 75 and tied for 19th at 233. Haverly Harrold and Hedegaard shot 235 and 238.
- The Lee men finished their season with a 301 Wednesday and a three-day, 17th-place 897 in their South/Southeast Regional at Muscle Shoals, Ala. Adam Wright and Corey Sheppard led the Flames with 223s on the Robert Trent Jones Trail at the Shoals course, and Shea Sylvester shot 227 with Scott Odell and Matt Johnson at 231 and 232.
- Sewanee moved up from 11th to a tie for 10th at 644 after the second round in the Division III women's national tournament Wednesday at Houston's Bay Oaks Country Club. The Tigers' Meghan Symonds is tied for 25th at 156, while teammates Sarah Battye and Natalie Javadi are at 162 and Sophia Morrill at 165.
- Two-time Sewanee All-American Avery Schober has been chosen for his third NCAA Division III individual national tournament, and 2016 women's All-American Clementina Davila is going for the second year in a row. The individual nationals are May 22-24 at the Champions Club in Chattanooga, where the team nationals will follow May 25-27. Schober is 14-3 this season in singles and 13-5 in doubles. Davila is 10-5 at No. 1 singles and 12-5 at No. 1 doubles.
- The Chattanooga Football Club lost 2-0 Wednesday night to the Charlotte Eagles in US Open Cup soccer play in Charlotte, N.C. CFC opens NPSL play Saturday night at New Orleans.
- The Chattanooga FC women will play their Blue vs. White intrasquad match Saturday night at 7 at Finley Stadium, and sponsor Little Debbie is making sure it's a sweet outcome for everyone. Every fan will get a Swiss Cake Roll after the game if Blue wins, an Oatmeal Creme Pie if White prevails. Also after the game, all 30 players and the coaches will be available on the field for autographs. Tickets cost $5 with no charge for ages 6-under or kids wearing CFCA jerseys. Also, anyone with a CFC season-pass wristband or wearing a CFC jersey will be admitted free.