Lookout Mountain's Mark Harrell reached the semifinal round before falling Thursday afternoon in the 2017 U.S. Mid-Amateur golf tournament in Atlanta. The Trident Transport director of operations and former University of Alabama golfer rallied past Tyler Crawford of Indio, Calif., for a 19-hole win in the quarterfinals — Harrell made a 35-foot birdie putt on No. 15 — and lost on the final hole of his semifinal to Josh Nichols of Kemersville, N.C. For reaching the final four he gets a two-year exemption into the U.S. Mid-Amateur.
* The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's tennis team got three-set Main Draw singles wins Thursday from Bogdana Zaporozhets and Tamri Chalaganidze in the ITA Ohio Valley Regional in Murfreesboro, Tenn. (against Louisville and Northern Kentucky players), and those two each won in Main Draw doubles as well. Zaporozhets and Delaney Edwards edged a Middle Tennessee State duo 8-7 (4), and Chalaganidze and Emma van Hee defeated another MTSU pair 8-6 before losing 8-5 to a Cincinnati pair. UTC's Annie Tarwater and Zala Dovnik edged a Belmont duo 8-6 in B Doubles.
* Kellee Geren from Cleveland High School had 39 assists and 11 digs and Marissa Langford, also from Cleveland, contributed 13 kills and 16 digs in helping Milligan College (10-13, 7-6) win 3-1 in Appalachian Athletic Conference volleyball Thursday night at Bryan. The set scores were 25-22, 25-20, 23-25, 25-23. Mariah Dunlop had 15 kills and Brooke Stowell and Hope Burnett added nine and eight for Bryan (5-17, 4-8), which got 31 digs from Kristen Parrish and 22 and 13 assists from Sidney Pierce and Veronica Salas.
* Tennessee Wesleyan battled visiting Union (Ky.) to a 3-2 AAC loss, North Division leader Union (23-7, 11-2) winning 25-20, 25-19, 21-25, 23-25, 15-9. Marjorie Smith and Sydney Ritten had 16 and 14 kills and Gabi Catt and Tia Madden set 21 and 19 assists for TWU (5-17, 1-11), which got 15 digs from Maggee Hobson and 10 from Kailyn Lillie. Smith and Maura Emert each had three block solos, Smith with two block assists as well.
* Destiny Stewart had 14 kills and 10 digs in Sewanee's 3-0 (25-23, 25-20, 25-17) home Southern Athletic Association win Thursday over Centre. Claire Crow and Constance Connolly had 15 and 10 assists for the Tigers (9-10, 3-7). Centre is 8-12, 3-7.
* Cleveland State's first-year volleyball team is 11-5 for the season despite having lost 3-0 to established programs in its last two matches — against Walters State and Gadsden State. "Overall we are very pleased with the season," coach Randy Evans said in a school release. "In regards to our last two matches, we just have to keep our intensity up, not get down and clean up a few things."
* The host Dalton State soccer teams lost 4-1 to the Bethel women but edged Bethel's men 4-3 in Southern States play Thursday. Jordan Man scored two goals and Santiago Moore had the deciding goal and assists to Daniel Valenciano and Man for the DSC men (8-3, 1-2). Valenciano assisted on Moore's goal for a 4-2 lead. Keyle Snyder scored for the Lady Roadrunners (6-4-1, 0-3).