We're moving quickly today because of a slew of work assignments that include but are not limited to our morning gig of writing a family-oriented, interweb-based sports column, our daytime gig of being a sports department employee, our afternoon gig talking sports with College Football Rainman, David Paschall, on Press Row from 1-3 p.m. on 105.1 FM and our all night gig of doing our high school preview magazine.
From the "Talks too much" studios, how's your momma and 'em?.
Former Ooltewah star and UT senior defensive end Jacques Smith got the bad news that his broken thumb will sideline him 4-to-6 weeks.
Tough sledding all around there.
If Jacques misses the full six weeks that have been reported, that would have him doubtful for the Oregon game in Week 3.
We still believe Smith can deliver on his lofty expectations - and maybe he get to the (Cue Jaws) NATIONAL Football League - but this is yet another speed bump in a career of them for a kid we believed was going to be a super stud duck.
Side question: Which high-profile area high school football recruit went off to a FBS school and overachieved? Anyone?
Good luck to all the folks that entered the Almost a Major International Incident PGA Contest. Here's what we got:
5-at-10 - Woods, Stenson and Jason Day.
StuckinKent - Woods, Adam Scott, Justin Rose. (Late addition that, upon further review) had his entry in before you Ohbrother. Sorry.)
OhBrother - Woods, Scott, Rose.
Uch - Matsuyama, Mahan, McDowell (Unless of course Mahan's wife needs a back run or something - we're kidding, we're kidding)
Mrspud - Tiger, Scott, Donald
Harry Thornton - Mickelson, Manassero McDowell
Dawg747 - Mickelson, Poulter, Scott
Mrs. 5-at-10 - Mickelson, Scott, Rose
Fred - Woods, Tim Clark, Chris Wood
ThatIDoKnow - Zach Johnson, Stenson, Colsaerts
OTWatcher - Mickelson, Cabrera, Day
Tiger - Harris English, Scott, Westwood
McPell - Woods, Choi, Jason Day
Spy - Stricker, Charl, McDowell
B-i-B - Mickelson, YE Yang, Jaco Van Zyl
Mark P - Woods, Charl, Jason Day
SBBS - Woods, Westwood, Day
sportsfan - Phil, Scott, Jimenez
Dcrotty - Dufner, Scott, McIlroy
If we missed you, please let us know.
Here's what we believe - Tiger wins. We love the way he putted last week. We love the fact that for the first time since 2008 he seems comfortable being Tiger again. We love the way he's playing.
If Tiger is in contention Sunday, it becomes the biggest story in sports. We're hoping to watch it.
We had a fictional sports movie character update here Wednesday. Then news broke that Smalls, the new kid played by Tom Guiry around which The Sandlot guys rallied was arrested in Houston for head-butting a police officer in the face after Guiry was told he was too drunk to board an airplane.
This of course begs the question: How drunk do you have to be to be barred from boarding an airplane.
C'mon Smalls, we know you got the shaft wearing the plastic glove and that awful long hat. But dude, be better than that. What would Bennie say?
- The Braves have won 13 straight, and BJ Upton's Medoza buster is higher than Lil' Danny Struggla. Good times. Side note: The punk that is Bryce Harper, a day after admiring his homer in a loss and getting bent out of shape because he got what was coming to him, gets yanked for not running out a grounder. Clown move bro.
- Stupid lottery. Some folks in Minnesota and New Jersey won. What would you do if you had won the $400-million-plus jackpot?
- Hey, Johnny Football has not made bad headlines in the last 24 hours. Yay. Way to go Johnny. His dad is so proud he bought him a Range Rover.
- Auburn scrimmaged Wednesday and all the quarterbacks went live, meaning the defense got to hit the four Tigers trying to land the QB job. You want a working definition of a coach knowing he has a QB mess - Gus Malzahn seems OK if any of the four get injured in scrimmages. Great. A Darwinistic survival of the fittest test is hardly the ideal way to pick a starting QB in the SEC. Hello 6-6. Maybe.
- Most NFL preseason games have the drama of a Kim Kardashian off-Off-OFF Broadway one-act play. But with the latest injury on the offensive line, the Atlanta Falcons' preseason opener tonight against Cincy is pretty important. Also of particular import for area fav B.J. Coleman is the Green Bay-Arizona on Friday night.
- Somebody get Wes Welker a tissue.
As always feel free to chime in on any and the above topics and remember Friday's mailbag - we need a couple of entries.
Here are but two - and we are for sure going to discuss these on Press Row with Paschall.
Love Notre Dame or loathe them, that's well within your power. But we always though the classic Navy jerseys and Gold pants the immaculate Gold helmets were a great college uni. Now they are going all Oregon with a new look that is far from classy. Here's a slide show. Question: Who has the best uniforms in college football.
The NFL is tightening its celebration rules. Who were the best celebrating hot dogs in NFL history? T.O. may not be No. 1, but dude is definitely in the "Grab your popcorn" Rushmore, right?