NAVARRE BEACH, Fla. -- The 5-at-10 has taken the show on the road.
We are going to move quicky as the sand, tots and mini-golf are on the agenda. Again. Side note: Watching the joy of youth and its uncomplicated pleasures and intentions is magical. And a treasure.
From the sun-splashed veranda of the "Talks too much" studios, whose house... Run's house.
For the regular readers, you know the drill. The 5-at-10 is normally five things on our mind at 10 a.m. Five at 10, pretty genius, huh?
Well, since we are sneaking up on 700 consecutive 5-at-10s on Mondays-Fridays, we can hardly stop now.
That said, when we're on vacation, we have to adapt and overcome -- i.e. shorten the process. The Mrs. 5-at-10 has us on the clock. Hey, on the clock is a draft term and we love the draft. You know this.
So we do top 5 lists (and if you have any suggestions/requests, fire away). We loved sportsfans' idea late Monday, and we have one stored from last week. But we are always in the market for good ideas. Leave the car, keep the cannoli.
Today, in honor of the fast start UTC AD David Blackburn has enjoyed -- two major hires that have been universally embraced by the masses is high cotton for any AD, never mind someone who has been on the job about a month -- we're going to look at our top five coolest debuts. Enjoy and feel free to comment below (we will be back around noon to play along).
1) Mario Lemieux -- dude was a hot shot since pee-wees, and he did not disappoint in his first NHL game. On his first shift, he stole the puck from Hall of Famer Ray Bourque and skated in and scored on a breakaway in the first seconds of his career. Welcome to the show kid.
2) Rocky -- Sly Stallone was an unknown. He held onto his script rather than selling it because he wanted to be the lead in the movie. Wise move and a big time splash debut.
3) Jason Heyward -- In his first big-league at-bat, Heyward launched a three-run homer at Turner Field before a frenzied home crowd.
4) Orson Wells -- At 26, without ever directing a movie, the rookie stepped to the plate and delivered a haymaker to Randolph Hearst (no relation to Garrison). Not many folks make an all-timer like Citizen Kane in their first swing.
5) Beastie Boys -- License to Ill... Do we need to say more? MCA, get on the mic my man.