The final round of the U.S. Open golf tournament almost always falls on Father's Day.
There are many things a golfing dad would enjoy about 48 hours from this morning -- perhaps time to watch the championship event, perhaps a morning round of golf or an item or two that will help him enjoy his next rounds on one of the many quality courses in the Chattanooga area.
Father's Day sales have been in progress at Dick's Sporting Goods, GolfSmith and Golf Headquarters -- all within a five-minute drive of each other, depending on traffic -- in the Hamilton Place area.
Golf Headquarters sales manager Chris Harris selected several items at various price points that have been selling well leading up to the holiday. They are items that can improve a round -- either through performance or enjoyment -- and can be bought at the last minute at most area golf retail stores.
• Ping Sensor Sport glove, $17.99 -- Proceeds from sales go to the Bubba Watson Foundation, which assists children and military veterans.
• Super-Stroke putter grip, $24.99 -- "We can't keep them in stock," Harris said. The grip calms the hands during a putting stroke.
• Teroforma ICON Whiskey Stones, $11 -- These can be used off the course, too. Put them in the freezer, then in a glass to keep spirits chilled without dilution from ice.
• Callaway limited edition U.S. Open hat, $24.99 -- To commemorate the U.S. Open championships at Pinehurst No. 2, the hat is red, white and blue with a big 2 on the back.
• TaylorMade Project (a) golf balls, $31.99 -- This is a ball made for amateurs and not the professionals with distance off the tee due to low spin, but a urethan cover that allows for more green-side spin.
• Nike Tour Performance golf shirts, $69.99 -- Nike is almost always on the edge of performance gear, and these shirts perform and have many different designs from traditional shirts.
• FootJoy DryJoy Casual golf shoes, $149.99 -- These waterproof golf shoes are a hybrid of spikeless and more casual shoes blended with a touch of the classic golf-shoe look without the spikes.
• Bushnell Neo-X GPS watch, $199.99 -- This USGA-approved watch made the Golf Digest "Hot List" and takes GPS watch technology to a new level with its accuracy on more than 30,000 courses.