Former McCallie School standout Sean Ryan from Hixson, now a Michigan senior, finished fifth in the Big Ten men's 500-yard freestyle swimming event Thursday in his home pool in Ann Arbor. He will race in the 1650 freestyle Saturday.
• Chattanooga's Wesley Cash and his partner for six USTA national men's 55 doubles championships the last two years, Mark Vines of Lynchburg, Va., won their 55s quarterfinal match 6-1, 6-0 in the Raymond James Super Senior Grand Prix on Thursday at the St. Petersburg (Fla.) Country Club. It is a tuneup for another run at a "Golden Slam" on the USTA circuit, which Cash claimed in 2012 and 2013.
• University of Tennessee at Chattanooga senior Jordan Britt, a former GPS and Signal Mountain prep standout, was the Southern Conference women's golfer of the week after averaging 73.8 strokes per round in two events. She tied for fifth in the Lady Bulldog Invitational in Athens, Ga., and had a four-round 220 in the Central District Invitational.
• UTC's midseason transfer from Virginia Tech, freshman heavyweight Dawson Peck, was the SoCon wrestler of the week for the second time in row after his pin in 3:20 against VMI's Juan Adams in the Mocs' 37-3 win in their last regular-season match. Adams previously was 18-7 overall and 6-0 in SoCon bouts, but Peck is now in the national top 20 and is 12-1 since joining the team.
• Nationally second-ranked Tennessee lost for the first time in 15 softball games this season, 6-3 to Brigham Young, as the San Diego Classic got under way Thursday. Madison Shipman had a two-run home run in defeat for the Lady Vols, who played San Diego State late Thursday night.
• The streaking UTC softball team begins play today in the 10-team Gulf Coast Softball Classic at Gulfport, Miss., with an afternoon game against Nicholls State and a night game against Ohio University. Ohio also was in the Mocs' Frost Classic last week, where the host team went 5-0 but did not play the Bobcats. Ohio went 4-1 in the Frost Classic and is 12-1 overall. Nicholls is 5-11.