* Interscholastic Climbing League: Organizing for high school & middle school teams to compete in six meets through the winter with High Point Climbing downtown, Riverside & Tennessee Bouldering Authority as partner-hosts; team needs at least 5 students plus a coach or team sponsor, but individuals from schools without teams can contact Outdoor Chattanooga at email@example.com or 643-6888.
* Soddy-Daisy chapter of Tennessee Trails Association hikes: Saturday, rock climbers parking lot to Big Soddy Gulf, slightly strenuous 5 miles (will stage vehicles; meet at 8 a.m. at Durham Street parking lot in Soddy-Daisy; call Trish Appleton at 240-3443); Tuesday, Leggett Road to McGill Creek, moderate 4 miles (meet at 8 a.m. at Durham Street lot; call George Bonneau at 842-3619); Sept. 16, Roaring Creek, slightly strenuous 6 miles (meet at 8 a.m. at Durham Street lot; call Will Smith at 580-2918 or John Politte at 304-8327); Sept. 19, Harrison Bay State Park, easy 4 1/2 miles (meet at 8 a.m. at Target parking lot on Hwy. 153; call Donna Pyers at 352-812-4845).
* Sunset strolls to Sunset Point: Saturdays through November, 5-9 p.m., Cloudland Canyon State Park; meet at West Rim access parking lot, fee $5. Ranger-guided, start times vary with time of sunset (check for specifics at visitor center). Call 706-657-4050.
* Beginner mountain bike rides: Sundays through November, 9 a.m., Cloudland Canyon State Park; ages 13 to adult, bikes available for rental from visitor center, helmets required, $10-$15. Call 706-657-4050.
* Adaptive cycling program: Monday & Sept. 25, 5:30 p.m., from Hubert Fry Center at Tennessee Riverpark; sponsored by SPARC & city of Chattanooga therapeutic recreation division; recumbent 3-wheelers, hand cycles & tandem bikes available; free but pre-registration required through Jerry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 596-5268 or Elaine at email@example.com or 697-1345. Also, volunteers email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Tennessee Valley Canoe Club meeting: Tuesday, 6-7 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park.
* Rapid Learning whitewater kayaking practice: Wednesdays, 6-7 & 7-8 p.m., Chester Frost Park, end of the swimming beach by the first boat ramp; family-friendly for ages 8-up; first-timers free, equipment provided, reservations not required; yearly membership $75, family membership $125. Email email@example.com or call 643-6888.
* Local Tennessee Ornithological Society meeting: Sept. 14, 7 p.m., Ascension Lutheran Church, 720 S. Germantown Road. Contact David Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org or 238-4234.
* Tennessee River Gorge kayak trip: Sept. 16, 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m., lunch stop at bird observatory; beginner-friendly with staff & kayaks from Outdoor Chattanooga; ages 14-up, only 10 spots available; $50. Register at www.trgt.org/events.
* Chickamauga Battlefield free bike tour: Sept. 16 & Oct. 19, 9:30 a.m., leisurely 2 hours from visitors center with history talks; adults & kids ages 8-up (with adult) welcome; helmets required; bicycles available by calling 706-866-9241.
* Mountain to Town bike adventure: Sept. 17, 9 a.m., beginner-friendly Guild Trail to Tennessee Riverwalk in St. Elmo and on into downtown; about 2 hours, ages 12-up; shuttle & instruction (& mountain bike, too, if needed) provided by Outdoor Chattanooga; $25. Pre-registration required at email@example.com or 643-6888.