* Local Tennessee Ornithological Society meeting: Today, 7 p.m., Ascension Lutheran Church, 720 S. Germantown Road. Contact David Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org or 238-4234.
* Soddy-Daisy chapter of Tennessee Trails Assn. hikes: Saturday, Roaring Creek, slightly strenuous 6 miles (meet at 8 a.m. at Durham Street parking lot in Soddy-Daisy; call Will Smith at 580-2918 or John Politte at 304-8327); Tuesday, Harrison Bay State Park, easy 4 1/2 miles (meet at 8 a.m. at Target parking lot on Hwy. 153; call Donna Pyers at 352-812-4845); Sept. 23, Booker T. Washington State Park, moderate 4 miles (meet at 8 a.m. at Target lot on Hwy. 153; call Jean Smith at 596-9681); Sept. 26, Sitton's Gulch, bottom of Cloudland Canyon, moderate 4 miles ($5 parking fee; meet at 8 a.m. at Food City parking lot in Red Bank; call Pyers at 352-812-4845); Sept. 30, Retro Hughes Road to Immodium Falls & back, slightly strenuous 6 miles (meet at 8 a.m. at Durham Street lot; call Boodie Fox at 842-1178).
* Tennessee River Gorge kayak trip: Saturday, 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m., lunch stop at bird observatory; beginner-friendly with staff & kayaks from Outdoor Chattanooga; ages 14-up, only 10 spots available; $50. Register at www.trgt.org/events.
* Chickamauga Battlefield free bike tour: Saturday & Oct. 19, 9:30 a.m., leisurely 2 hours from visitors center with history talks; adults & kids ages 8-up (with adult) welcome; helmets required; bicycles available by calling 706-866-9241.
* Sunset strolls to Sunset Point: Saturdays through November, 5-9 p.m., Cloudland Canyon State Park; meet at West Rim access parking lot, fee $5. Ranger-guided, start times vary with time of sunset (check for specifics at visitor center). Call 706-657-4050.
* Beginner mountain bike rides: Sundays through November, 9 a.m., Cloudland Canyon State Park; ages 13 to adult, bikes available for rental from visitor center, helmets required, $10-$15. Call 706-657-4050.
* Mountain to Town bike adventure: Sunday, 9 a.m., beginner-friendly Guild Trail to Tennessee Riverwalk in St. Elmo and on into downtown; about 2 hours, ages 12-up; shuttle & instruction (& mountain bike, too, if needed) provided by Outdoor Chattanooga; $25. Pre-registration required at email@example.com or 643-6888.
* Chattanooga Bicycle Club meeting: Monday, 6-7 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park.
* Rapid Learning whitewater kayaking practice: Wednesdays, 6-7 & 7-8 p.m., Chester Frost Park, end of the swimming beach by the first boat ramp; family-friendly for ages 8-up; first-timers free, equipment provided, reservations not required; yearly membership $75, family membership $125. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 643-6888.
* Adaptive cycling program: Sept. 25, 5:30 p.m., from Hubert Fry Center at Tennessee Riverpark; sponsored by SPARC & city of Chattanooga therapeutic recreation division; recumbent 3-wheelers, hand cycles & tandem bikes available; free but pre-registration required through Jerry at email@example.com or 596-5268 or Elaine at firstname.lastname@example.org or 697-1345. Also, volunteers email email@example.com.
* Interscholastic Climbing League: Organizing for high school & middle school teams to compete in six meets through the winter with High Point Climbing downtown, Riverside & Tennessee Bouldering Authority as partner-hosts; team needs at least 5 students plus a coach or team sponsor, but individuals from schools without teams can contact Outdoor Chattanooga at firstname.lastname@example.org or 643-6888.
* Chattanooga Hiking Club meeting: Oct. 1, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park.