The first qualification for becoming Brainerd High School's new football coach had nothing to do with on-field resume.
• Jacob Maynard, Bradley Central: He had a home run and a triple and drove in three runs as the Bears edged McMinn County in baseball, 3-2.
• Dakota Hudson, Sequatchie County: He threw a 12-strikeout no-hitter with only two walks as the baseball Indians defeated Notre Dame 12-1.
While a few area high school football programs already have finished spring practice, most are still several weeks away from trading offseason weights for preseason pads.
B.J. Rowland, Thomas Delay, Dalton: They won at No. 1 doubles, 6-1 in the first set, but the Catamounts lost 3-2 in Georgia boys' tennis to Alpharetta's River Ridge.
The 23rd Lady Trojan Invitational high school softball tournament will be held this weekend at the Soddy Lake Kids' Park.
• Jack Bosworth, Chattanooga Christian: He doubled twice and had two RBIs as the Chargers defeated Lookout Valley 11-1 in a five-inning baseball game.
Coaches don't always welcome letters from the TSSAA, but the one Red Bank track coach Hugh Enicks got recently has opened the door for some unexpected help.
Some of his gray hair may have gone white last weekend, but if drama is what it takes to get the job done, Chattanooga Christian basebal
The rain that washed away Monday's high school sports schedule is playing havoc with the rest of the week as well, at least in baseball. There are three tournaments scheduled this weekend: McMinn Central's Cure for Cancer Classic, South Pit
ATHENS, Tenn. — Even with his team down nine points with 6:34 remaining in its Region 3-AA semifinal game Tuesday against Brainerd, McMinn Central guard Josh Scudder had no doubt the Chargers would find a way to win.
The rim on one end of the gymnasium at Hixson High School may still be rocking.
• Elizabeth Masengil, McMinn Central: She scored 18 points and took home the tournament MVP as McMinn Central won the District 5-AA championship over Sequoyah, 58-48.
Brooke Copeland, Bradley Central: She had 19 points and 15 rebounds in the Bearettes' 51-42 5-AAA championship win over Cleveland.
* Lakelyn Bouldin, Van Buren County: She had 37 points in the Eaglettes' 71-55 win over Richard Hardy in a District 6-A basketball tournament semifinal win at Sale Creek.