• Max Miller, McMinn Central: With 20 points, he scored one point less than a third of the Chargers' total in a 61-48 basketball win at Arts & Science.
After a photo shoot Tuesday at Gordon Central High School's Ratner Stadium, defensive lineman D.J. Prather flashed his biggest smile when asked how excited he was about signing with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on Wednesday.
• Stedmon Ford, Notre Dame: The high-scoring senior lit up Signal Mountain with 36 points in a 75-56 win.
• Jacob Campbell, Grundy County: He hit 10 3-pointers in a 38-point night as the Yellow Jackets outdistanced Marion County 97-67 in basketball.
Katelyn Lee, Gordon Lee: Her 18 points led the Lady Trojans to a 72-24 basketball defeat of Excel Christian.
Who are absolute favorites for Tennessee state duals wrestling championships this weekend? Defending champions?
• Kassidy Blevins, Gordon Lee: The Lady Trojans senior scored 14 points, surpassing 1,000 for her career, and added eight assists in a 66-35 region basketball win over Trion.
• Sara Griffith, GPS: She bowled a 684 series as the Bruisers beat Donelson Christian Academy 20-7 and had games of 203 and 192 in a 20-7 win over Father Ryan as the 2012 Division II state champions sealed their return to the state tournament. • Emileigh Swafford, Meigs County: Her 25 points included three 3-point baskets in the Lady Tigers' 94-43 basketball defeat of Silverdale Baptist Academy. • Rebecca Reuter, Bradley Central: She scored 16 points in leading the 17-1 Bearettes past archrival Cleveland, 56-21.
• Jamal Worthington, Bledsoe County: He recorded a triple-double with 12 points, 12 rebounds and 13 assists in a 70-54 win over Signal Mountain. • Kaleb Stoner, Trion: He had 33 points, including 14 in the final period, as the Bulldogs got their first-ever win over Southwest Atlanta Christian, 79-58. • Riley Dempsey, Sequatchie County: He led a 63-59 upset of Notre Dame with 20 points and 11 rebounds.
NuQuella Robinson, Howard: She scored 11 points in a 33-25 defeat of Brainerd.
Sometimes wrestling is as much about survival as it is winning. Often a team will have to do the first before it can do the latter in a dual-meet tournament.
Taking more than four months to complete, this was the longest high school football season in tri-state area history.
Baylor School all-state linebacker Colton Jumper was ready to commit to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga during his official visit on Dec. 1. In fact, he did so — briefly.
East Hamilton played most of its 2010 home football games at Finley Stadium, and Ringgold played all of its 2011 home games there.
Two Nashville schools recently shut down their wrestling programs for eight to 10 days, sending a disease scare through Tennessee.