The eyes of Tennessee's high school sports rules makers are on Texas.
In a move to help high school football players around the state get acclimated to the heat before full-contact practice begins, the TSSAA Board of Control has approved a recommendation to move up the date of the first day football teams can practice in helmets and shoulder pads by one week.
McMinn County is looking for a baseball coach and posted the positions of head and assistant coaches on the TSSAA website Friday.
Memorable TSSAA Spring Fling performances by area athletes and teams
While traditional spring sports such as baseball, softball and track are winding down, the Southern tradition of spring football practice is just kicking off at many tri-state area schools.
* Liana Rodrigues, Arts & Sciences: A sixth-inning walk prevented her from pitching a perfect game against Boyd-Buchanan and she had 14 strikeouts for the Lady Patriots, who won 3-0 to move to 8-0 in District 5-A. They won the first district regular-season softball title in school history.
In the stroke of a single day, Bledsoe County went from being in position for its first district baseball championship in more than two decades to hosting a District 7-AA playoff game Thursday afternoon.
• Hannah Morrison, Marion County: She hit a home run in a 5-1 softball defeat of Whitwell.
• Preston Reavis, Sale Creek: He hit a home run and knocked in three runs during the Panthers' 15-1 baseball win over Van Buren County
Chattanooga Christian high school principal and soccer coach Shawn Brower recently announced his resignation, effective at the end of the season.
• Hagen Wilkey, Red Bank: He pitched a 10-strikeout no-hitter as the Lions took a 10-0 District 6-AA baseball victory from East Ridge.
Whitwell, one of two Class A teams among the 12 to enter the Choo Choo Lady Owls high school softball tournament, was among those that went 2-0 in Friday's pool play at the Summit of Softball Complex.
As area track and field athletes begin to hit their stride for a run at qualifying for the postseason, an impressive 21 of the previous top event times or distances were bettered at last week's Optimist Meet at Walker Valley High.
As coach Jason Lanham said, Monday was a good day to be a Trion Bulldog.
• Marisa McCalla, Boyd-Buchanan: She had a double and scored three runs in the Lady Bucs' 7-6 District 5-A softball defeat of Silverdale Baptist.