JASPER, Tenn. — As she tried to wipe sweat from her face as she stood near her team's dugout, Harlie Jordan wound up smearing dirt across her cheeks.
As coach Jason Lanham said, Monday was a good day to be a Trion Bulldog.
• Marisa McCalla, Boyd-Buchanan: She had a double and scored three runs in the Lady Bucs' 7-6 District 5-A softball defeat of Silverdale Baptist.
• Hunter Brown, Grundy County: He pitched a two-hitter with nine strikeouts and scored two runs as the Yellow Jackets shut out Notre Dame in baseball, 5-0.
• Sloan Sullivan, Ooltewah: She was 4-for-4 with two doubles and three RBIs as the Lady Owls defeated Bradley Central 14-2 in a six-inning District 5-AAA softball game.
• Dakota Hudson, Sequatchie County: He struck out 16 and scattered four hits in seven innings as the Indians nipped Chattanooga Christian 2-1 in baseball.
• Jacob Maynard, Bradley Central: He had a home run and a triple and drove in three runs as the Bears edged McMinn County in baseball, 3-2.
B.J. Rowland, Thomas Delay, Dalton: They won at No. 1 doubles, 6-1 in the first set, but the Catamounts lost 3-2 in Georgia boys' tennis to Alpharetta's River Ridge.
The 23rd Lady Trojan Invitational high school softball tournament will be held this weekend at the Soddy Lake Kids' Park.
Some of his gray hair may have gone white last weekend, but if drama is what it takes to get the job done, Chattanooga Christian basebal
* Allison Meadows, Silverdale Baptist Academy: She went 2-for-2 with a triple and scored twice as the Lady Seahawks edged Grace Academy 7-6 in the Lady Wildcats March Madness softball tournament at Hixson. It was Silverdale's first win over District 5-A rival Grace in the varsity program's eight-year history.
The heat is on, although the first official pitch likely won't be thrown until Tuesday, once the rain predicted for Monday clears out.
WHITWELL, Tenn. — Having already fought its way out of an early deficit, Whitwell simply couldn't dig its way out of another one late.
After their performance in the Region 3-A high school basketball tournament, Whitwell’s Lady Tigers may want to consider going by the Chameleons the rest of the year.
Under normal conditions, the Whitwell girls' high school basketball team loves to pick up defensively from end to end and throw relentless man-to-man pressure at its opponents.