FAN'S GUIDE TO THIS YEAR'S SWEETWATER WILDCATS
Coach: Craig Moser (first year here, 72-55 in 11 seasons overall)
Stadium address: 414 South High Street, Sweetwater, TN 37874
1) The most stable group for the Wildcats should be the offensive line. Four of the five are seniors, and each of them started last year.
2) Sweetwater has more depth at linebacker than anywhere else, which explains why it's making a switch to a multiple 3-4 from its 4-3 base of last season.
3) Up-tempo practices in early preseason illustrate that the Wildcats, who haven't ended with a winning season since 2006, have shown up ready to work.
1) Uncertainty abounds in the backfield. Competition to be the leading ball carrier remained undecided through the first week of practice in pads.
2) Multiple-season starting quarterback Gavyn Davis may be the hardest to replace from last year. But at least it's known sophomore Andrew Barr will be his successor.
3) A change in head coaches has brought about a change in philosophy. The Wildcats want a more balanced offensive attack if they can pull it off.
Sweetwater, which was eliminated from the state playoffs last season with a first-round loss to Christian Academy of Knoxville, has earned postseason berths the last two years. They finished 5-6 each time, just as in their most recent playoff season before that, 2007. Their last playoff victory was in their 9-4 year in 2006, when they were eliminated in the second round by Alcoa, the powerhouse program that also eliminated them the next two times they reached the postseason. Here's a look at the regular-season win total the last five years:
Aug. 17 Tellico Plains
Aug. 24 at Stone Memorial
Aug. 31 Grace Academy
Sept. 7 Oliver Springs
Sept. 14 at Polk County*
Sept. 28 Meigs County*
Oct. 12 McMinn Central*
Oct. 19 at Bledsoe County
Oct. 26 at Sequoyah*
*District 5-AA game