For games of Aug. 30-31
(Coaches are invited to make nominations. Send an email to Ward Gossett at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 p.m. each Saturday.)
* Baylor: Michael O'Connor completed five of seven passes for 54 yards and ran 12 yards for a score in the Red Raiders 24-6 victory over Father Ryan.
* Bledsoe County: Jeremiah Gilbert scored the Warriors' lone touchdown, which put his team up by a touchdown and completed 13 of 23 passes in a loss at Signal Mountain.
* Brainerd: William Womack had two tackles for loss but the Panthers dropped their District 6-AA opener to Brainerd.
* Boyd-Buchanan: Rance Harden ran 10 times for 124 yards and two touchdowns and made five tackles in the balanced Buccaneers' 42-6 win over Silverdale Baptist.
* Bradley Central: Baylor Terrell jumped into the limelight with a touchdown and 140 yards on 17 carries as the Bears won their District 5-AAA opener, 35-0 over Soddy-Daisy.
* Calhoun: Taylor Lamb completed 27 of 42 passes for 280 yards and two TDs, including the game-winner with 0:04 left in the game, a victory over Ridgeland.
* Cleveland: C.J. Bryant had a rushing TD and a receiving TD and returned a fumble 36 yards for another score in the Blue Raiders' 5-AAA-opening victory over Ooltewah. Bryant finished with 85 rushing yards on 17 carries.
* Dade County: Travis Nunley rushed only four times but picked up 41 yards and scored two touchdowns in a 26-21 loss to North Sand Mountain.
* East Hamilton: Logan Jackson increased his season rushing total to 603 yards with a first-half-only 169-yard showing in the Hurricanes' 49-3 victory over Central.
* Fort Payne: Silas Payne picked up 53 yards on nine carries and scored a pair of TDs in the season-opening victory over North Jackson.
* Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe: Highlighted by a 71-yard run in the fourth quarter, Pooh Harden finished with 110 yards on 11 carries as the Warriors shut out Gordon Lee 28-0.
* Lookout Valley: Vann Scribner ran for 96 yards and two touchdowns but the Yellow Jackets were eventually swarmed over by South Pittsburg in the clubs' District 6-A opener.
* Marion County: Blake Zeman gained 140 yards on 16 carries and scored a TD as the Warriors moved to 3-0 with a 33-12 win over Whitwell. He also intercepted a pass and recovered a fumble.
* McCallie: Chad Tolliver rushed for 101 yards on 13 carries, but the Blue Tornado were overwhelmed by defending state champ Ensworth.
* McMinn Central: Denzell Boyd gained 155 yards on 26 carries and scored three TDs, but the Chargers fell to Polk County 37-19 in the teams' District 5-AA opener.
* McMinn County: Kelvin Wells scored twice and ran for 152 yards on 16 touches as the Cherokees rose to 3-0 with a 33-7 District 5-AAA defeat of Rhea County.
* North Jackson: Kitt Grider threw for 167 yards on 13 completions, but the Chiefs dropped their opener to Fort Payne.
* North Sand Mountain: Tyler Vann threw for a TD and completed 16 of 31 passes for 214 yards while rushing for another score in his team's 26-21 win over Dade County.
* Ooltewah: T.J. Davis rushed for 135 yards (24 carries) and a pair of touchdowns, but the Owls fell to Cleveland in the final minute.
* Polk County: Zach Miller ran for a season-high 240 yards on 28 carries with four TDs as the Wildcats posted a 37-19 victory over McMinn Central.
* Red Bank: Hagen Wilkey ran for one TD and passed for another in the Lions' 19-7 win over East Ridge.
* Rhea County: Austin Dotson passed for 156 yards on 16-of-26 accuracy, but the Golden Eagles lost to District 5-AAA favorite McMinn County in the district opener for both.
* Ridgeland: Darrell Bridges picked up 124 of his team's 343 rushing yards and scored a key two-point conversion late that allowed the Panthers to pull into a tie with Calhoun, which eventually won the game in the final seconds.
* Ringgold: Kile Sholl gained 116 yards and scored twice in the Tigers' 41-17 win over Heritage.
* Signal Mountain: Reese Phillips completed 16 of 23 passes and would have had much more than 149 passing yards if not for a handful of drops. He still finished with two TD strikes and a rushing touchdown in the Eagles' first victory of the year, 42-7 over Bledsoe County.
* Soddy-Daisy: Brett Standifer had an interception-free 18-of-29 night and threw for 233 yards but no TDs, and the Trojans lost 35-0 to Bradley Central.
* South Pittsburg: Demetric Johnson turned in the area's best performance to date, rushing for 309 yards on 14 carries and scoring six touchdowns as the Pirates swamped 6-A rival Lookout Valley.
* Trion: Scott Lively scored two TDs and averaged more than 12 yards per carry (gaining 76) in the team's 34-3 win over Armuchee.
* Tyner: In the Rams' 27-0 win over Brainerd, Hassan Miller ran 6 yards for one TD and caught a 6-yard pass for another.