The Marsh House was built in 1836 by Spencer and Ruth Marsh in LaFayette, Ga. It is Greek Revival with 10-foot-wide central hallways on both floors that span the length of the house. It was built with four rooms on each floor, two on either side of the hallway. The house is now owned by Walker County and maintained by the Marsh House Task Force.
The Marsh House was built in 1836 by Spencer and Ruth Marsh in LaFayette, Ga. It is Greek Revival with 10-foot-wide central hallways on both floors that span the length of the house. It was built with four rooms on each floor, two on either side of the hallway. The house is now owned by Walker County and maintained by the Marsh House Task Force.
Photo by Tim Barber .
published Friday, August 9th, 2013
Pin It

Stories this photo appears in:

Legend has it that Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg planned his military strategy before the Battle of Chickamauga while reclining in the shade of a large oak on the grounds of the Marsh House. Although there is no proof of that, town citizens referred to that tree as “The Bragg Oak” from the 1870s until it a storm brought the tree down in 1921, according to Mary Smitherman, Marsh House docent.

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.