Chattanooga firefighters rescue unconscious woman from fire at hotel

fire tile

Firefighters rescued an unconscious woman from a fire in a Chattanooga hotel room last night.

It happened around 9 p.m. at the Extended Stay hotel at 6240 Airpark Drive, according to a news release from the Chattanooga Fire Department.

Firefighters made a quick decision to force entry into the room, where they encountered heavy smoke and a woman lying unconscious on the floor, the release said. The firefighters quickly removed the woman from the room and extinguished the fire. The victim was taken to Erlanger Medical Center for treatment of smoke inhalation. Her injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, officials said.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental. Captain Andrew Waters said the woman was burning papers in a plastic trash container when the fire got out of control. The woman called 911 and tried to put the fire out herself with water, but the smoke was too intense and she passed out.

Authorities say the fire did around $2,000 in damage.