With protests against protest brutality and the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis taking place across the country - and right here in Chattanooga - Chris Ownby, Reggie Madison and Gena Ellis from First Things First provide 10 keys on how to have a productive conversation about race.
1. (:57) Begin to have conversations with people who are not like you.
2. (2:19) Build relationships with people who are not in your circle.
3. (2:43) Respect people even if you don't agree with them.
4. (3:44) Be aware that these conversations are going to be uncomfortable because it requires you and the person you're talking with to be vulnerable and open.
5. (6:27) Ask questions in order to show empathy and understanding, not to fix or defend.
6. (9:27) Recognize and accept someone else's reality in order to build a deeper connection and create a relationship.