Fire forces evacuation of local school

Fire forces evacuation of local school

December 14th, 2017 by Staff Report in Breaking News

A reported fire in the auditorium at Berean Academy at 331 Berean Lane in Hixson forced an evacuation this morning.

Battalion Chief Don Bowman said the heating system caught fire inside the building, which activated the fire alarm system. Bowman said the school staff did an excellent job of evacuating the school quickly and efficiently.

There was thick, black smoke inside the auditorium when the firefighters arrived.

They found the fire in the heating system and very quickly extinguished the flames. There was no fire damage to the school building.

Firefighters used their high-powered fans to ventilate the building to remove as much smoke as possible. The cause of the fire will be ruled accidental. 

No injuries were reported.