NASHVILLE - Gov. Bill Haslam said Tuesday he thinks last week's controversy over scoring problems impacting 9,400 students on the latest TNReady tests is overblown because the problem was discovered before results were sent to families.
"I think the one thing that's gotten lost in all this discussion is the process worked," Haslam told reporters. "It was during the embargo period before any of the results were sent out to students and their families that this was caught."
The governor said "one error is too many, but it is important to remember this is 94,000 tests out of a million something. And it worked. Before anybody's results were impacted or any student got their results it was caught.
"And that's kind of been lost in all the conversation here," Haslam said. "There was no impact."
The problem involved test scanning.
This year's TNReady problem came following problems in 2015 as well as last year, when the online system melted down.
Legislative Democrats are now demanding the administration impose a three-year moratorium on using results with regard to student learning or teacher and school effectiveness.
State Education Commissioner Candice McQueen and top aides are currently addressing the issue before a joint meeting of the House education committees.