Chattanooga man arrested for attempted murder after woman gets both eyes ripped out

Chattanooga man arrested for attempted murder after woman gets both eyes ripped out

September 28th, 2017 by Emmett Gienapp in Breaking News

A Chattanooga man, Michael Roberson, 45, has been charged with attempted first-degree murder in connection with an assault on a woman in which she lost both of her eyes on Wednesday night.

Police responded to the 7300 block of Frances Drive around 6:40 p.m. on a report of a domestic assault, according to court documents. Officers found a 33-year-old woman lying face down on the ground with an eyeball next to her.

The victim, whose other eye was missing, suffered a laceration to her right arm, a stab wound to her stomach and a stab wound to her breast. Police also found a broken knife at the home.

Michael Roberson

Michael Roberson

Photo by Contributed Photo /Times Free Press.

Roberson, taken into custody at the scene, told police the incident started over a child. He said he blacked out and couldn't remember what he did, saying he is at a low point in his life.

In addition to attempted first-degree murder, Roberson has been charged with aggravated assault. He is being held on a bond of $500,000, and his next court appearance is Monday before Hamilton County General Sessions Court Judge Clarence Shattuck.

Records show Roberson previously was charged with aggravated assault in 2006, when officers said he fought and tried to kill them. The officers responded to Patten Towers to assist personnel with Roberson, who was being combative, but he lunged and began to hit one of them when they arrived, an incident report states.

In the scuffle, Roberson tried to grab one of their guns, prompting the officer to drop its ammunition magazine to prevent a shooting. Officers used a stun gun and hit Roberson multiple times without any noticeable reaction from him. He was handcuffed only after an officer struck him over the head with a nearby flowerpot, according to the report.

All three officers suffered injuries, and Roberson was charged with three counts of aggravated assault, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

The charges were dismissed in Hamilton County Criminal Court more than a year and a half later after a ruling that Roberson was insane, according to online court records.

Contact staff writer Emmett Gienapp at or 423-757-6731. Follow him on Twitter @emmettgienapp.

This story was updated Sept. 28 at 11:30 p.m.