Man stabbed at Tennessee haunted house; worker suspended

Man stabbed at Tennessee haunted house; worker suspended

October 11th, 2018 by Staff Report in Breaking News

MADISON, Tenn. — A man was stabbed in the arm at a haunted house in Tennessee, and an attraction employee has been suspended.

The Tennessean reports 29-year-old James "Jay" Yochim was stabbed Friday night by a friend who had been handed a knife by a person thought to be a cast member.

Yochim says he and his friends were attending Nashville Nightmare in Madison and had been chased by people with chain saws and other weapons. He says they expected the knife to be fake, "so she stabs at me with it, and everything got really black."

Yochim says the man who provided the knife started panicking, saying he didn't know the knife was sharp. Nashville Nightmare organizers say they've suspended a male employee believed to be involved.

Yochim's arm required nine stitches.


3 Georgia men who ran currency exchange convicted of fraud

ATLANTA — Three Georgia men who ran a currency exchange business have been convicted of fraud.

The U.S. attorney's office in Atlanta said in a news release Wednesday that Tyson Rhame and James Shaw of Atlanta and Frank Bell of Decatur were convicted of charges including mail and wire fraud.

Rhame and Shaw owned and operated Sterling Currency group, which prosecutors say was once one of the largest U.S. sellers of the Iraqi dinar. Bell was chief operating officer.

Prosecutors say Sterling brought in more than $600 million from currency sales between 2010 and 2015, and Rhame and Shaw received more than $180 million in distributions.

Prosecutors say the men worked to convince investors they would get rich by investing in the dinar, including by spreading false information about the Iraqi currency.


Man dies after weekend shooting

BIRMINGHAM — A man has died after being shot over the weekend in Alabama.

The Jefferson County Coroner's Office identified the victim as 22-year-old Devin Darnell Crowell. He was 22. reported Crowell was shot early Sunday in Birmingham. He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. Crowell was kept at the hospital until Tuesday because he was an organ donor.

Birmingham police have not announced any arrests in Crowell's death.

Crowell's death is the 86th homicide in Alabama's largest city. Police say the city is on pace to have one of its highest homicide counts since the 1990s. Birmingham reported 113 violent deaths in 1996.