This story was updated Tuesday, April 9, 2019, at 3:19 p.m. with more information.
Chattanooga firefighters responded to a fire alarm at Rivermont Elementary School on Tuesday morning.
Around 9:30 a.m., firefighters responded to an automatic fire alarm, acting fire department spokesman Chris Fryar said in a news release.
The school had been evacuated by school personnel before firefighters arrived.
Crews found light smoke and determined it was caused by a faulty heating and air unit, according to Capt. Charles Chavis.
The building, located at 3330 Hixson Pike, was ventilated and checked with air monitors to ensure the air quality was safe, according to the release.
School district maintenance officials responded, repaired the unit and brought fans to help clear out the school, district spokesman Tim Hensley said.
Fire crews determined the school was safe and students returned to class shortly afterward. No injuries were reported.
This is the second time in less than a week that firefighters have responded to a Hamilton County public school.
On Friday, students at Normal Park Upper School were evacuated after a blown fuse caused officials to call 911. No fire was found, though, and students also returned to class.
Incidentally, a fire door replacement at Normal Park is included in the district's proposed capital maintenance budget priorities for the upcoming year.
Lights for seven classrooms at Rivermont are included in the $3 million budget, but there is no mention of faulty HVAC systems at Rivermont.
Contact staff writer Meghan Mangrum at email@example.com or 423-757-6592. Follow her on Twitter @memangrum.