Smoke detectors credited with alerting homeowner of fire

Smoke detectors credited with alerting homeowner of fire

June 23rd, 2019 by Staff Report in Breaking News

Hamilton County emergency officials say active smoke detectors in a new home on Walden's Ridge warned the owner of a fire Sunday afternoon that had broken out in the house's crawl space.

The fire was reported at 2:50 p.m. Sunday with heavy smoke and fire coming from under the home on Little Bend Road where Walden's Ridge Emergency Services responded to battle the blaze, according to a news release.

Firefighters cut openings in the floors, found the fire in the crawl space and extinguished it, officials said. Walden's Ridge fire officials reported the fire appeared to be accidental and started from the electrical wiring in the crawl space. No injuries were reported.

Walden's Ridge officials requested a mutual aid response from the Signal Mountain Fire Department and Lone Oak Volunteer Fire Department to cover their district for any potential emergency calls.

Officials said the smoke detectors and quick action on the homeowners' part saved the home from burning to the ground.