Chattanooga firefighters walk out of the remains of a home on East 36th Street late Thursday afternoon following a fire that drew multiple companies and required the rescue of a child. Multiple people were sent to the hospital as a result of the blaze, but no information regarding their conditions was immediately available. / Contributed photo/Chattanooga Fire Department

Updated at 4:26 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2019, with more information.

some text
Firefighters assess the scene of a Thursday evening fire in a home on East 36th Street. / Contributed photo/Chattanooga Fire Department

A 3-year-old boy has died after being injured earlier this month in a house fire, according to the Chattanooga Fire Department.

The fire happened on the evening of Sept. 5 at a home located in the 1300 block of East 36th Street.

Two adults had been downstairs in the apartment and an adult and three children were upstairs when the fire broke out. One of the adults in the home was able to get two children out safely with the help of Chattanooga police officers and other Good Samaritans.
Officers attempted to go inside the house to locate the third child, but flames prevented them from making much progress.

Firefighters then entered and did an initial search and fire suppression, eventually finding the child in a back bedroom and removing him.

The child, his two siblings and his father were taken to a local hospital.

While his father and siblings were treated and released with minor injuries, the 3-year-old remained in critical condition. He succumbed to complications associated with severe smoke inhalation and oxygen deprivation, according to a news release Tuesday.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family during this very difficult time. This is a loss for his loved ones, the community and our department," Chattanooga Fire Chief Phil Hyman said in a statement.

A Go Fund Me organized by Jordan Turner is raising funds for the family, according to a spokeswoman from the Chattanooga Fire Department.