The Chattanooga Engineers Club Thursday night capped E-Week festivities by presenting awards at its Engineers Week Awards Banquet at the Doubletree Hotel and Suites. Honorees included:
* J. Don Brock -- Engineer of the decade. Mr. Brock is chairman and CEO of Chattanooga-based Astec Industries.
Mr. Brock started Astec Industries in 1972 to design, manufacture and sell specialized asphalt production equipment, said Dr. Ron Cox, professor of engineering at UTC. "He has done amazing things with regard to designing, developing, and commercializing more than 180 products in his 17 operating companies worldwide."
* Larry G. Akens -- Jo Conn Guild engineer of the year. Mr. Akens is manager of compliance and emergency preparedness, Tennessee Valley Authority
* Benjamin M. Berry -- Gen. Robert Neyland young engineer of the year. Mr. Berry is project manager for Miller-McCoy Consulting Engineers
* James W. Frierson -- Philip J. Sutton people to people award. Mr. Frierson is executive director of the Advanced Transportation Technology Institute
* Jason Payne -- Carlisle A. Jordan technician of the year. Mr. Payne is project manager and senior engineering technician for the city.
-- Compiled by staff writer Ellis Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org